Sign in to follow this  
Beenthere

Is TRIM missing on your Sandforce SSD ?

Maybe some of the newest SandForce based SSDs have sudden improved performance (only once in testing...), for all the wrong reasons? It would appear that TRIM on many SandForce controlled SSDs sold in the past 5+ months may be malfunctioning and causing major performance drops for some folks because the TRIM function is broken. There is an interesting investigation reported at the link below and new firmware due literally in days...

As Anandtech has stated: "SSDs are immature tech". IMO SSDs and other PC hardware is often rushed-to-market for high profit from those who do not know that they are buying half-baked products.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4870/lsi_sandforce_5_series_ssd_firmware_trim_lost_and_found_performance_investigated/index1.html

Edited by Beenthere

that 'immature tech' thing is why i went with samsung. i dont think there is anybody that has more experience than samsung in all aspects of building/designing a ssd- including intel.

that 'immature tech' thing is why i went with samsung. i dont think there is anybody that has more experience than samsung in all aspects of building/designing a ssd- including intel.

Samsung has had issues with some of their SSDs also on compatibility and reliability issues. No company has been exempt from SSD new tech issues. Even Intel with their "extensive validation" process has still experienced some issues.

IME most of the issues could be eliminated with proper product validation instead of rushed-to-maket half-baked crap for huge profit. The ship-it-now, fix it later mentality is unscrupulous and could be costly if the FTC decides to sue these companies.

my point was more to do with if u r going to take a chance go with the company that has the most experience & an overall good record- make an informed choice & dont look back.

i absolutely agree with u about validation & rushed to market this is a problem with both comp hardware & software.

my point was more to do with if u r going to take a chance go with the company that has the most experience & an overall good record- make an informed choice & dont look back.

i absolutely agree with u about validation & rushed to market this is a problem with both comp hardware & software.

My point was Samsung's SSDs aren't any more reliable or compatible than any other brand of SSDs regardles of their experience, so it's not appropriate to conclude they are a better choice.

My point was Samsung's SSDs aren't any more reliable or compatible than any other brand of SSDs regardles of their experience, so it's not appropriate to conclude they are a better choice.

Do you have any hard data to back that claim up, or is it just something you made up?

It is correct that SSD tech is inheritly non-mature at the current state or rather at because of selection of MLC technology as market leading.

But that does not speak for any differences in controller tech, nand selction/binning, Research/development capacity or things like that, that is highly different between vendors.

for me it absolutley is. why i purchased it. the only other one i considered was intel. and that was after hours of going through various reviews & forums and narrowing it down to those 2. not sure what else would make my conclusion 'appropriate'.

Edited by mike2h

Do you have any hard data to back that claim up, or is it just something you made up?

It is correct that SSD tech is inheritly non-mature at the current state or rather at because of selection of MLC technology as market leading.

But that does not speak for any differences in controller tech, nand selction/binning, Research/development capacity or things like that, that is highly different between vendors.

Yes of course I have data from those who have reported the issues with Samsung as well as all the other brands. No one is excluded from the pitfalls of new SSD tech on consumer grade SSDs. It is what it is - immature tech with lots of issues still to be resolved. SLC could certainly be better if offered at a competitive price to the public, but it is not. There is a lot of knowledge and experience with SLC.

for me it absolutley is. why i purchased it. the only other one i considered was intel. and that was after hours of going through various reviews & forums and narrowing it down to those 2. not sure what else would make my conclusion 'appropriate'.

That's the whole point - You don't have enough compatibility or reliability data on ANY of the new consumer grade SSDs to make an informed decision. That is why Anandtech and others recommend waiting 6-12 months to see if the majority of issues with the current release SSDs get resolved. Otherwise you're just an unpaid beta tester - which is fine if you're OK with that, but most people prefer to buy a properly designed, engineered and manufactured PC component that works as it should when you buy it -- not several firmware updates down the road - if ever.

That's the whole point - You don't have enough compatibility or reliability data on ANY of the new consumer grade SSDs to make an informed decision. That is why Anandtech and others recommend waiting 6-12 months to see if the majority of issues with the current release SSDs get resolved. Otherwise you're just an unpaid beta tester - which is fine if you're OK with that, but most people prefer to buy a properly designed, engineered and manufactured PC component that works as it should when you buy it -- not several firmware updates down the road - if ever.

while u r basically correct. i think samsung is a little further along the road than just about anybody else. the stuff ive seen posted in reviews & in various forums seems t ome to point to samsung having about ther same problem/failure rate as any hd or just about any pc component for that matter.

i have been building my comps( mine, wifes, & HS), my daughters & 2 freinds for the last 12 years & there is absolutley no way u r going t oget 100% reliability from any component- some more than others of course.

while ssd industry is improving i do believe they have a way to go. i also beleive that it is a much less riskier buy now than it was just a year ago and i beleive that if u do your due diligence is no less riskier than buying a platter hd, memory, graphics card(just rma'd one), etc.

This TRIM issue seems to be a mountain out of a molehill issue.

I've punched almost 700TB of data through a sandisk extreme 120gig drive (one of the drives supposedly affected by the TRIM bug) without having the drive die or preformance degrade.

Possibly my drive will benchmark faster when updated to 5.0.3 (if it doesn't esucumb to NAND wear), but the current firmware is not unusably slow, and write endurance doesn't seem badly affected.

Yes of course I have data from those who have reported the issues with Samsung as well as all the other brands. No one is excluded from the pitfalls of new SSD tech on consumer grade SSDs. It is what it is - immature tech with lots of issues still to be resolved. SLC could certainly be better if offered at a competitive price to the public, but it is not. There is a lot of knowledge and experience with SLC.

Please if possible, share those information with the rest of us then. It would be interresting seeing return rates for large e-tailers like newegg fx. I doubt the vendors themselves would give out that information freely.

My experience is only from installing about 100 830s in our corporate enviroment, so far we have not seen any errors.

We selected the 830 because we had good experience with the dell branded 470 SSDs (allthough they were slower devices), and personally ive had issues with sanforce based SSDs at home.

This TRIM issue seems to be a mountain out of a molehill issue.

I've punched almost 700TB of data through a sandisk extreme 120gig drive (one of the drives supposedly affected by the TRIM bug) without having the drive die or preformance degrade.

Possibly my drive will benchmark faster when updated to 5.0.3 (if it doesn't esucumb to NAND wear), but the current firmware is not unusably slow, and write endurance doesn't seem badly affected.

I am in the same boat as you with my 240GB sandisk SSD. But mine is slowing down a bit every week! Plus, I am running the drive on OSX, so no way to update FW! I am just waiting on the SSD to die and return for reimbursement.

Will not buy any SSD not upgradable on OSX anymore