Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian

Crucial v4 SSD Targets Existing SATA 2 Systems with Low-Cost Performan

5 posts in this topic

Don't mind some more competition or cheaper drives, but SSD prices are pretty good and even popular SSDs frequently go on sale, so hopefully it is not just a move to hook some ignorant customers...

Also, should be interesting to see how reliable is the Phison PS-3105(should be the one used in the V4 IIRC). Do you know if other ssds used that controller beside the Patriot Torqx 2?

Not sure how many more SSDs we need in the low-cost market. Unless they're planning to kill the m4 entirely and replace it with a higher-performing one, thus leaving the v4 to fill the low-end...

We've never seen anything good come from a Phison controller. I'd be happy to not see them any longer unless they find a way to improve.

In terms of performance, the sustained sequential in the neighbourhood of 200 MBps is about right for SATA 2 interface. But those random 4K...given that for typical SATA 3 SSDs, it's in the tens of thousands, I wonder how this would "feel" in real world performance.

In terms of price, I just checked Amazon right now. Crucial m4: $105. Crucial v4: $115.