Sign in to follow this  
Kevin OBrien

Plextor PX-M5S SSD Review Discussion

While Plextor doesn't have an extensive range of SSD offerings in the consumer space, the drives they do bring to market have historically been very good. In fact, Plextor has eeked more performance out of the Marvell 9174 (which at this point, if not old is certainly near end of life with the successor announced a few months ago) than anyone else using that particular SSD controller. Plextor also boasts industry leading internal validation and other testing to make sure their SSD reliability is top of market. The new PX-M5S continues the Plextor mantra of delivering incremental improvements over time. While not a revolutionary change, the M5S SSD is a perfect example of progressive SSD engineering, delivering an end product that's expected to be a step better than prior generations.

Plextor PX-M5S SSD Review

So wait until they release a M5 Pro? I am a little disappointed in the change of warranty. Yeah, I know that in reality, SSDs will likely do 10+ years, but still...

Hopefully the Mac Mini incompatibility is just a fluke. Did you call the Apple Geniuses? :P

The M5P will be a totally different drive in my expectation. There's really nothing left for them to do with current technology.

The M5P will be a totally different drive in my expectation. There's really nothing left for them to do with current technology.

New firmware 1.02 was just released (the first public update despite changelog notes re: 1.01) for this drive. It will be interesting to see if this firmware fixes the major latency spikes seen from these drives during your enterprise style testing, which I have noticed for the last few months when this drive has been included in comparison data. How soon will you be evaluating this drive in your enterprise testbed with the new firmware?