sanman

Question about what constitutes a fabric

I'm a bit confused on the concept of what constitutes a fabric. The info I've read states that a

fabric is one or more switches (it didn't say they had to be connected together).

I've also read that a SAN can consist of multiple interconnected fabrics, or that you connect switches

to create large SAN fabrics.

So, my questions are as follows:

Can a single switch be called/considered a fabric?

Let's say you have a server with two HBAs, each HBA is connected to a switch (but those switches

are not connected together). Would you say you have two fabrics, or a single fabric?

If you then connected those switches together, what would it be called?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what a fabric is. As you can tell, I'm just learning about

SANs (but have a strong background in networking... Cisco routers /switches. The TCP/IP world).

Thanks,

Tom

I think you could probably get into a nice argument over this, but it really comes down to a network where any server can hit any storage device. Just both in the same fabric, but you can have multiple fabrics layered together, and you could probably consider a network with one server and one storage device a fabric, albeit a teeny tiny one.

Thanks Kevin. In all cases though, do you have to have a switch in the network for it to be considered a fabric?

That seems to be the case from what I've read.