Model Number: WD2500HHTZ, WD5000HHTZ, WD1000DHTZ

Capacity: 250, 500, 1000 GB

URL: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20

Interface: SATA 6Gb/sec

Spindle Speed: 10000 RPM

Seek: 6,9 ms

Buffer: 64 MB

Density: 333GB/platter

always been curious about this- the 250 & 500 gb models are short stroked single & dual platter rt? the 1k gb makes full use of 3 platters. shouldnt there be some sort of speed advantage t othe short stroked vers?

tis a question that has been bugging me for years.

For short stroking they usually disable some of the slow inner part of the platter, hence increasing average STR and decreasing average access times due to shorter head travel paths. The 500 GB model wouldn't have to be 2 platter short stroked, though: they can use one full platter and only one side of a 2nd platter, yielding 333 + 0.5*333 = 500 GB capacity. Saves one read/write head.

MrS

MrSpadge' timestamp='1343379425' post='276932']

For short stroking they usually disable some of the slow inner part of the platter, hence increasing average STR and decreasing average access times due to shorter head travel paths. The 500 GB model wouldn't have to be 2 platter short stroked, though: they can use one full platter and only one side of a 2nd platter, yielding 333 + 0.5*333 = 500 GB capacity. Saves one read/write head.

MrS

thx. guess my main point was - is y we dont see some sort of increased performance in the vers that are short stroked?

thx. guess my main point was - is y we dont see some sort of increased performance in the vers that are short stroked?

WD never sent anything but the larger drive to reviewers. In the previous Raptor generation, nobody reviewed the 450GB Raptor officially and based on some end-user HD-tach HD-Tunes I've seen, I believe that early versions of the 450GB Raptor were done with remaining stock of the generation-before Raptors (150GB/fully enabled platter). Actually the transfer rate completely matched that of the 300GB and 150GB drives and was nowhere near than of the 600GB drive.

For drives that are really short-stroked, I expect them to use platters that have some kind of fault and can't be sold as fully enabled (otherwise it makes little sence not making them 333GB and 667GB as the production cost would be nearly the same). If the fault is at the inner part, then that area is disabled. If it is in the outer, then the outer is disabled. This would mean that not all of these drives perform equally.

Not trying to be captain obvious, but your post is an a assumption, right?

WD did not post anything official, nor we can see a clear pattern in the individual drives, so we can recognize an error in the beginning or the end of the drive.

Anyway - I am also looking forward to some failure info, as the previous 5th gen Raptors were a "guaranteed dead man" on the 2nd year. I have 40% dead drives (out of 12 bought 5 have gone bad between the 18th and 24th month).