Kevin OBrien

EchoStreams FlacheSAN2 Custom Flash Array Build Discussion

Hi,

In your build list, you have 5 LSI Raid cards.

Each only supports 8 devices.. How were you able to use 48 drives with only 5 cards?

Also, could you explain your testing procedures in more detail?

thanks,

nick

Magic :P

Seriously though, we are using the onboard Intel/LSI RAID card with the motherboard with each drive presented as an individual RAID0 to present to the system. That is what gives us the 8 missing SSDs, although the performance from that card is slightly under what we can get from the HBAs. Its a unique way to solve the connection issue and have that many SSDs presented on the motherboard along with the InfiniBand NICs.

Was wondering what exactly your process is to stripe the 5 (6) controllers?

I'm building a similar system right now, but need redundancy. So my thought was to build each system with 4 or 5 controllers in a RAID 5, and then stripe them together. I need to use Windows for this, can't use Linux.

Hi,

Do you know where I can buy the Mellanox Infiniband Cards you used?

Not at the office right now to confirm the model number, but this is the card I'm 95% sure we are using:

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Mellanox_Technologies_Mellanox_ConnectX_3_VPI/MCX354AQCBT/11452173/froogle/?gclid=CJ-9gaiy-rICFe5FMgod3ioAzQ

Ahh yea, you're correct. I was going off the hardware model of the card, but they load different software on to support faster standards. We have the MCX354A-FCBT in our lab... probably 12-16 of them.

Can't forget their 40GbE switch and all their 10GbE and 40GbE NICs too. :o

I believe they are working on a banner for our lab now. Needless to say, Mellanox is a huge supporter of our site.

We've been collecting performance stats on both software RAID using storage spaces and upcoming hardware RAID swapping out the 9207 HBAs in place of new 9270 MegaRAID cards.