Sign in to follow this  
John11

recertified drive

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Last week i purchased a hard drive from ebay which was described as brand new. Here is a link to the item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330746747559&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

When i recieved the drive it differed from the advertisied photo in that it is labelled as recertified, from a google search

this indicates a used drive which has been repaired.

The seller is refusing to refund my money with the explanation:

" The drive you received 5 days ago was the actual drive in the picture, it is not different at all. It is listed as *brand new - 14th may* but only labeled with recertified due to being a replacement from a return. It was shipped straight from Thailand, the drive will also show up as 0 hours used in crystaldiskinfo or how ever many hours you have used it and will have a full years warranty."

The seller also stated: "The drive is brand new. Recertified does not mean refurbished it means that Western Digital have sent me a new drive that they have Checked. The drive you received is the drive pictured in the listing."

Also the drive only has a one year warranty instead of the usual 3 year, due to the fact that it is recertified which i am disappointed with.

What do you think i should do next? My main problem is that recertified could mean a whole load of things all of which i cannot verify or corroborate. And it is being sold as brand new which i don't think it is.

Many thanks in advance. John.

That sucks. :angry:

Recertified from the factory means it should still meet the same specs as a brand-new one, but for whatever reason it can't be sold as a brand-new drive by the factory... and hence, is NOT a brand-new drive.

So regardless, you didn't get what you had paid for...

Hi. Many thanks.

Think i'll complain to ebay and see what they say.

Is there a webpage on western digital or any of the other hard drive manufacturers sites which describes recertified drives, perhaps i can use that

as part of my arguement.

Many thanks. John.

The main argument should be the warranty difference as a sign of brand new vs "used". Even if it may performs the same(it could have even been a return that has not been used), it is, as mentioned by Continuum, not new.

In the US:

Recertified Products (USA and Canada)

WD recertified products may consist of customer return units and may be repaired. All products are tested and determined to meet WD's stringent quality standards before they are sold as recertified. Please note that some recertified items may have marks, scratches, or other slight signs of wear.

All recertified products carry manufacturer's limited warranty of 6 months.

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

The main argument should be the warranty difference as a sign of brand new vs "used". Even if it may performs the same(it could have even been a return that has not been used), it is, as mentioned by Continuum, not new.

In the US:

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

Recertified is not new (never was), even if it has full warranty (which is not the case as you can see). This is why it is ALWAYS sold at a lowered price.

Edited by worxland

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

The serial number for the drive is WXD0AB9J4427, i was interested that it contains the words DOA which is sometimes used as an abreviation

for dead on arrival, do you think this has some meaning or is it a coincidence.

Many thanks. John.

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

The serial number for the drive is WXD0AB9J4427, i was interested that it contains the words DOA which is sometimes used as an abreviation

for dead on arrival, do you think this has some meaning or is it a coincidence.

Many thanks. John.

D0A != DOA, so there is no coincidence, you just misread.