Sign in to follow this  
ajnetworkz

Is this IOPS Reading in IOMeter for SATA drive normal?

I was reading online that a typical SATA 7200rpm hard drive on average provides 70-120 IOPS.

After running IOmeter for the first time on my 7200rpm drive it calculated 270 IOPS.

Why is this so much different from 70-120 range most on the Internet are indicating is the max for a 7200 drive?

I am wondering if IOmeter isn't configured correctly?

Thanks,

Aj

Depends which hard drive it is and if you had 4K alignment setup not to mention the workload itself. That number doesnt sound too far off depending on the model you are playing with.

It would depend on the size of the IOs and the sequential request load vs random as well as read vs write commands.

A HDD can retrieve (read) small sequential data easily as it would use caching and read-ahead to have the data loaded in RAM to be accessed faster.

Random writes would be cached and written in the an optimized way to limit head movements.

So it is very difficult to asses the validity of such test unless you know the exact load pattern...

MEJV

It would depend on the size of the IOs and the sequential request load vs random as well as read vs write commands.

A HDD can retrieve (read) small sequential data easily as it would use caching and read-ahead to have the data loaded in RAM to be accessed faster.

Random writes would be cached and written in the an optimized way to limit head movements.

So it is very difficult to asses the validity of such test unless you know the exact load pattern...

MEJV

Thanks for the responses, yeah I noticed I had it set to sequential I changed it to random with a 4k block.

Still seemed high but also found there are other factors in the IO meter configurations that can skew the results one way or another.

Not the easiest program to use really. HD Tune seemed to give me a more reasonable result.