pcknt

Best SSD for MBP: Samsung 830 vs. Sandisk Extreme

I am looking at either the Sandisk Extreme (240gb) or the Samsung 830 256GB. I heard the Sandisk is faster but the Samsung is more reliable. Which should I get for image processing in Adobe Lightroom.

I heard the Sandisk is faster with uncompressible data but the reviews show many problems.

Thanks.

For reliability, I'd buy the Samsung, the drives are very well made. The SanDisk will perform moderately better, but that's not what you listed as your main criteria.

When it comes to SSDs, I would choose reliability over speed. But in the end, you may not notice it. Regardless of what SSD you get, make sure to have backups.

Were you looking at Ultra reviews or Extreme reviews for the Sandisk drive? I see a decent amount of complaints(on newegg) for Ultra drives, but not for the Extreme series. Make sure to compare each drive individuall and not by brand alone. For example, between the Ultra and Extreme series, there should be different controllers, NAND, firmware which can make the difference in reliability.

Also, if you are ordering today, you should be able to get the Samsung 830 for $220 on newegg.com

Is the SanDisk really faster with incompressiable data? If so, is it by much? I thought the Samsung was the current speed champ.

Edited by nightwatch

Your link is broken for the Sandisk product in your first post, but with a Sandforce controller, the Samsung is probably faster for incompressible data.

what about Kingston hyperx 3k 240gb and vertex3 240gb? I am also looking to replace my old corsair 120gb SataII with something bigger and faster on my early 2011 Macbook Pro. These 2 with the sandisk were the 3 I was looking for and didnt know about the samsung. Too many choices is like no choice, too complicated to choose hehe.

nb.: samsung drives arent really an option for me because newegg and ncix dont sell them here in Canada

Edited by floydstyle

Those both use Sandforce SF-2281 controllers with the associated reliability........

Not knowing which Corsair drive you have in their currently makes it hard to say how much performance improvement you'd see, but honestly even a 2 year old SSD generally is still so fast that outside of benchmarks you won't be able to tell the difference.

Best value on drives lately, aside from the SF-2281 powered ones, seems to be Crucial m4 units, if you can find a good deal...