Sign in to follow this  
Gunnins

Trouble Deciding Hyper X dk 240gb or 120gb

So over the last few days a friend and I have been looking into upgrading our computers. Both of our current systems are 4-5 years old with a plan to update to the new i5 or i7 ivy bridge's(price dependent) and z77 boards in the immediate future. However, one thing we keep going back and forth on is the SSD's. First looks were at the Corsair GT series, but decided against those and finally decided on the Kingston Hyper X series.

Now we are stuck on sizing. The 240GB Hyper X3k runs 270$ after rebate while the 120GB runs 130$ after rebate. Because of the small size of the 120Gb a second HDD would almost be neccessary while I believe the 240GB would be sufficient for several years to come. By comparison I am still running my old 120GB IDE HDD.

So, the pricier 240gb version found here? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239050

Or the 120GB version found here? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239049

Or does somebody have a drive that would recommend higher for about the same price ranges?

I'm a fan of the Kingston HyperX models... They load them up with massive thermal pads and design it to be reliable for years to come in harsh conditions. Not all consumer SandForce models do that... It's rare to even see a pad for the controller itself, let alone all the NAND and controller. On the consumer side I think Intel is the only other company I have seen address thermals, but it was for the controller only on the SSD 520 and now the new 330.

If you are thinking about the higher capacity model to store media and you have the capabilities to install a secondary drive, I would go for 120GB SSD plus HDD diverting the 140 bucks left over into a decent 7200RPM 2TB model.

I'd go for the 120GB for now and wait for maxing it out before buying a bigger SSD for the same price (or cheaper) later!

MEJV

Edited by mejv

Thanks guys! Think I am gonna go with the 120gb drive after all. I'll go with the smaller and if need more room I can always use the extra money on a regular HDD, or if I can survive on a small drive maybe just upgrade to a cheaper SSD solution in the future.