Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin OBrien

Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo Review Discussion

5 posts in this topic

Western Digital has long made excellent external hard drive solutions that appeal to creative types and others who want large capacity local drive access with the fastest interface available. From a Mac perspective, the current interface of choice for speed is Thunderbolt. But to this point we haven't seen much in the way of direct attached storage where Thunderbolt has proven a worth investment for the mainstream user. WD's hoping to change our perspective on that with the My Book Thunderbolt Duo, a two-drive external which supports up to six Thunderbolt Duos daisy-chained together.

Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo Review

Two questions:

1. What kind of Green drives? AV-GP or regular Greens?

2. The silver outer-casing - painted plastic or aluminum?

Thx

1. Standard Green Drives (not the AV-GP drives we found in the Live Duo).

2. Case is plastic painted silver

Thanks Kevin.

That is rather puzzling as it seems they are identical with Live Duo (casing-wise), but the ports used. Yet the drives inside are clearly inferior to AV-GP. Looks like WD is cheaping-out on the drives to keep the overall price down due to Thunderbolt :unsure:

Sorry for my English, I normally speak Dutch, The following is not clear to me:

Question 1: uses Western Digital on the My Book Thunderbolt Duo for the "Thunderbolt input and out to next" the same chips as the Lacie Thunderbolt little big disk and/or the Pegasus Thunderbolt R4 with higher read and write ?

Question 2: Is behind the Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo the high rate of 10GBit/sec still available for other devices such as Thunder Bold Video capture device or other I / O devices, witch are at the end of the chain (have only one Thunderbolt port) ?

Question 3: Is the connection behind the Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo possible for one Thunderbolt Apple Monitor at full speed ?

Question 4a: If two Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo are used in succession can I switched them as one logical volume ? 4b: Is the writing speed in this setup than higher ? 4c: Is at this setup (4 disk=logical volume) all the data lost if one disk fails.

On advance, Thanks, Marc from Belgium