Sign in to follow this  
brjoon1021

Need to clone a difficult to clone drive

Hi,

My ultrasound machine (medical imaging) made by GE has a Samsung 80 GB laptop drive in it. I have been told that there are perhaps as many as 5 partitions on it straight from GE and that it supposedly can't be cloned, in part due to keeping patient data safe and also to insure that GE gets many hundreds of dollars to replace the old, slow drive when it fails.

Well, I want to replace the small, slow drive with a Seagate Momentus XT. Holding any issues of BIOS disk size limitations (possibility), etc... aside... do you guys have any input as to what might be my most likely route of success ? I have two broad paths: 1 clone my drive to a larger, faster drive or 2. There is an installation CD that comes from GE which has the OS (I think Windows XP embedded, heavily customized); I could try to install it directly onto a larger drive and see how that goes.

For a little background, I spoke to a guy that is involved in selling and updating software and firmware for these ultrasound units. He told me that he tried to clone a disk to the very same Samsung drive and the reboot came up with "all kinds of errors". He only tried once, I think. He did not say what software he used. He thinks my chances are slim at getting this to work because GE does not want it to work.

I just have a hard time imagining how a disk can't be cloned or how sofware can refuse to install on a disk that is not pre-partitioned in a certain way.

Thanks,

W

You could certainly give cloning software a try, but many like Acronis True Image Home only works with Windows, that might be your hangup. I'd probably feel better about starting fresh anyway.

Well the first thing id look at - what interface is the drive? "old, slow" seems to suggest IDE or older.

First, find another system with the same interface. Then take the drive out of the existing system, put it in the newer one, boot from CD and clone.

If its older than IDE, then your going to have a really hard time finding something to replace it with.

As to software - ive heard good things about clonezilla. But in my own experience, it falls over when trying to clone to drives that are not the same size.

Well the first thing id look at - what interface is the drive? "old, slow" seems to suggest IDE or older.

First, find another system with the same interface. Then take the drive out of the existing system, put it in the newer one, boot from CD and clone.

If its older than IDE, then your going to have a really hard time finding something to replace it with.

As to software - ive heard good things about clonezilla. But in my own experience, it falls over when trying to clone to drives that are not the same size.

Is cloning from a smaller drive to a larger drive generally a problem ?