Sign in to follow this  
orion24

WD next gen blacks

Does anybody have info about WD 7200RPM drives with more than 500GB/platter? The 500GB platters are nearing their 3rd birthday as top of the line. I wonder if by this time next year they will be gearing for their 4th as well.

Brian any brief on the 4TB drives? I would expect that if those were coming out soon then the Black ed should not be more then 6 months away form that. That's just an observation

Edited by Mkruer

Well, we've seen in the past WD pushing their density and new drive designs in the branded products first, then rolling those to the larger form factor drives. The 2TB externals we've been reviewing may turn into 4TB 3.5"'s soon.

So we may see 4TB drives before the end of the year?, BTW does WD have a history of making 5 platter drives? Because if they do and they are using the 1GB per platter, then i would say that 5TB drives should be not to far behind.

With SSDs finally cheap why bother with WD Black anymore? Just make the WD Blue and Green, and Velociraptor.

Heck I'd even consider dropping the 3.5 Blue and Black and make a 7200 RPM version of the velociraptor for the new Blue line. Make it 7200 RPM or 8000 RPM or 6000 RPM (since the 10,000 doesn't go by the 1800 rpm multiples I suppose they have leeway to choose any RPM they like for the value version of the velociraptor).

Right now the internal desktop page shows top capacity by line of

3TB Green

2TB Black

1TB Blue

1TB Velociraptor

It's four drives out of two platter sizes. The Black is being squeezed on speed by SSDs and capacity by the Green. Simplify the lines and transition away from excess R&D / materials costs.

The simplest version would be

3TB Green

1TB Velociraptor (10,000 RPM)

1TB Velociraptor Green or Blue (however they want to market the smaller lower RPM drive)

Edited by dhanson865

With SSDs finally cheap why bother with WD Black anymore? Just make the WD Blue and Green, and Velociraptor.

Heck I'd even consider dropping the 3.5 Blue and Black and make a 7200 RPM version of the velociraptor for the new Blue line. Make it 7200 RPM or 8000 RPM or 6000 RPM (since the 10,000 doesn't go by the 1800 rpm multiples I suppose they have leeway to choose any RPM they like for the value version of the velociraptor).

Right now the internal desktop page shows top capacity by line of

3TB Green

2TB Black

1TB Blue

1TB Velociraptor

It's four drives out of two platter sizes. The Black is being squeezed on speed by SSDs and capacity by the Green. Simplify the lines and transition away from excess R&D / materials costs.

The simplest version would be

3TB Green

1TB Velociraptor (10,000 RPM)

1TB Velociraptor Green or Blue (however they want to market the smaller lower RPM drive)

They are right to create multiple options, so that everyone finds what suits him best. If you like large green drives for storage and SSDs for performance, you do. I don't. I don't want a sub-7200 drive not even for the documents drive where I have a RAID-1 documents, pictures and videos. Even for that, I want performing 7200RPM drives and the difference is measurable. When I open a pictures folder, the performance drive takes less time to load & preview them.

SSDs now are a league of their own, but unlike what some expected (including me), they did not affect the HDDs market demand. I personally thought they would kill the Raptors, but they didn't. True, my desire for a just released Raptor is not as big as it once was, but SSD did not replace them. It just came as an OS-drive add-on. The Raptors are still making use of their money as gaming drives in my system. And the greens still have no place. I would only consider a "green" drive if it had a significantly lower cost and only for "deep storage" of rarely used important files (such as my formula 1 video collection that is about 1GB and is currently in an WD1002FAEX drive)

I agree with Orion, there's definitely enough space for more models than your minimum solution. High capacity 7.2k rpm are still a sweet spot for many applications. The Blue should serve this market, although WD hesitated to bring them above 1 TB in the recent years. Not sure why, currently my next HDD would be a 2 or 3 TB Seagate 7.2k rpm, even though I prefer WDs firmware. But they just don't have anything comparable.

I don't see as much potential for the Black, though. It's performance orientation never really paid off (hardly any faster than Blue), whereas the cost was certainly higher (fancy mechanics). Some people would pay more for more sturdy drives with longer warrenty, though.

And the Greens have to be cheaper than these offerings at the same capacity, otherwise they're superfluous for anything but massiv-scale storage, where the 1 or 2 W saved really count.

MrS