Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bricktop

SSD Controller Overview

3 posts in this topic

I think it is time for a comprehensive overview of the controllers available on the market. I spent a little time trying to find features of different controllers and it's difficult with all of the reviews out there that simply state the performance. What type of garbage collection do they use? Is hardware encryption available? Is user data stored in the cache? If so, is there on-board power loss protection for that data? For instance, I read that the Samsung 830 stores user data in the RAM cache, and as far as I know there isn't and protection from power loss. That seems like a reliability issue. For all I know HDDs probably do the same thing.

Also, there is little data about write amplification on recent drives. Obviously, Sandforce drives reign supreme in this category.

I think a comprehensive review of the controllers and how different SSD companies have used the features available would be an interesting and educational article. Thanks.

There's so much nuance that very little is obvious with SSD controllers...good point though, we'll look into adding more details to our guides around this.

Also, there is little data about write amplification on recent drives. Obviously, Sandforce drives reign supreme in this category.
Anandtech's review of the OCZ Vertex 4 talks about it a little more, but you'd have to have background on Sandforce drives and as far back as the Intel X-25M G2's for the numbers to make real sense.