Sign in to follow this  
Tacoboy

SATA 3.0 verses SATA 6.0

My current storage drive Samsung 7200 1GB SATA 3.0 is starting to have weird problems, like disappearing sometimes.

About two months ago I did a fresh partition and format, still have the same problems.

So I'm looking to replace it. Now I have what I think is slow indexing, like when I access my 10GB music folder.

I even tried replacing Norton with MS Essentials Security, just in case the Norton scanning was slowing the indexing.

In the address bar, I get a slow green line going from left to right, sometimes it seems like it takes 30 seconds to finish.

Would a SATA 6.0 drive improve indexing on a hard drive?

(I do have SATA 6.0 controllers on my 880G motherboard)

Otherwise I would rather save a few dollars and get another SATA 3.0 drive.

I do not think any rotating disk hard drive out there will saturate the SATA 3Gbps bus, let alone the 6Gbps bus. I think the slow performance is due to a failing hard drive, rather than a bottleneck on the bus itself.

As the Samsung 1TB failed yesterday, I guess I'm buying a new drive in a day or two, might as well make it a SATA 6.0.

Have a two month old backup on a WD-1TB-green drive, so did not lose anything of real importance.

What's a good program for copying files from one partition to another partition (separate drives).