Kevin OBrien

OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G Review (480GB) Discussion

8 posts in this topic

Do these 3rd party devices boot as quickly as the Apple versions? i read somewhere that the Apple SSD had firmware optimizations that gave it the incredible boot speeds.

I'm running the 240GB Aura in my latest gen MBA and while I don't reboot or boot but a few times a month, I'd say it's very fast, the same or better as the stock SSD. Really though when you're talking 10 seconds or less I'm not sure it matters much.

We have found no real difference between the stock Apple SSDs or the OWC products in the MacBook Air. The only lag time that we found was when originally swapping over a new drive, you need to make sure you set it as the boot device, otherwise the system turns on and waits for 15-20 seconds looking for the bootable object. Otherwise though it turns on and starts booting in 1 second or so.

I don't see your review mentioning that those 6G blades are more power-hungry than standard Apple (Samsung/Toshiba) ones and how it impacts MB Air battery times.

I have the 240GB version of Aura Pro, the only piece of software I see a slight speed bump in is Adobe Lightroom but I am not sure it was worth the shortened time my MB Air works on battery. I haven't properly measured it but I'd say it is noticeable, i.e. battery times are about 20% shorter (subjective assessment, might be way off). I upgraded from a 128GB Samsung SSD btw.

You're right, there's likely a power drain, but I don't think it's 20%, I've been using the 240GB capacity for 6 months or so. When we get some time we'll see about getting more scientific results.

You're right, there's likely a power drain, but I don't think it's 20%, I've been using the 240GB capacity for 6 months or so. When we get some time we'll see about getting more scientific results.

Sounds great. I never tested it but it is noticeable. Could be worth adding, my battery health is now at 93%, this might be a factor.