Brod

4TB HDD with 1TB platters

One thing I wonder is why helium and not just pull a vacuum on the device. Is helium better then a vacuum?

A vacuum would cause an air-pressure difference between the inner and outer part that would act like a constant squeeze on the drive from the external air pressure

A vacuum would cause an air-pressure difference between the inner and outer part that would act like a constant squeeze on the drive from the external air pressure

Plus the heads fly as airfoils. No air means no foil, which means your goose is cooked.

... those analogies kinda got away from me...

Plus the heads fly as airfoils. No air means no foil, which means your goose is cooked.

... those analogies kinda got away from me...

Speaking about cooked, I forgot about the fact that the air inside also plays part in transferring the heat outside the drive. With out it, the only cooling way would be via radiation, that is far from enough. And apart from the goose, you would have the whole thing cooked.

when are we going to see $150 for 4TB's?

i remember back in 2010 i bought a few 2TB's for 77 bucks!

now 4TB runs at $300 a pop or more...i know i know the thailand flood......but come on now...its been a while.

now 4TB runs at $300 a pop or more...i know i know the thailand flood......but come on now...its been a while.

The Thailang flood is a joke, they used it for HDD price fixing. We won't see the HDD market we had in the past again, it seems. HDD makers have merged in 2 major companies and they can very easily issue price fixing. The SSDs have affected them for good, but if they don't resume the development in the pace it was in the past, then SSDs will catch them up capacity-wise as well

Speaking about cooked, I forgot about the fact that the air inside also plays part in transferring the heat outside the drive. With out it, the only cooling way would be via radiation, that is far from enough. And apart from the goose, you would have the whole thing cooked.

sorry, answered to the wrong post.

Edited by worxland

Relax, it is consolidating ... slowly. On local (Hungarian) flea market the price for new 3TB HDD was ~140 USD before the flood and I could buy one this August for the same price.

Edited by worxland

I wonder whats inside those new WD 4TB externals... and what's inside what's inside... 4 platters or 5?
The other SR article on it says it's a Hitachi drive, so probably 5x800GB. :(

So WD has an Investor Event on December 5, I am wondering if this might be when they will announce the release of the 1TB platters for the Green drives. At this point I think everyone now thinks that the 4TB Black drives are just re-branded slightly modified Hitachi 4TB drives with the 5x800GB platters. The Red drives support/have the 1TB platters have been out for a while. So it should be soon that we see the 4TB green and potential a 5TB black by no later then mid next year, this is just my opinion.

So WD has an Investor Event on December 5, I am wondering if this might be when they will announce the release of the 1TB platters for the Green drives. At this point I think everyone now thinks that the 4TB Black drives are just re-branded slightly modified Hitachi 4TB drives with the 5x800GB platters. The Red drives support/have the 1TB platters have been out for a while. So it should be soon that we see the 4TB green and potential a 5TB black by no later then mid next year, this is just my opinion.

Mid next year is your guess? Every year since 2009 I've been saying to myself that the release should be right around the corner. As of now, I've quit guessing and I will not be surprised even if they never release them at all (and dumb the high performance parts, maintaining only the WD "Green", "Red" and just one of the 7200 RPM lines). If their 4TB black is really a Hitachi rebrand, what can I say? That they never actually researched their own successor to the 7200RPM 500GB platter? And shall I also assume that they did not send the 4TB black HDD to reviewers? If it really is a Hitachi rebrand, it would explain why

At this point I think everyone now thinks that the 4TB Black drives are just re-branded slightly modified Hitachi 4TB drives with the 5x800GB platters.

It is not a rebrand. It's a new platform.

As for when 1TB/platter drives will reach multi-platter products, your guess is as good as mine. Seeing an industry-wide delay makes me think there may be a more fundamental technical issue that remains to be resolved. Either that or the customers out there aren't demanding (or willing to pay for) the next areal density jump.

As for when 1TB/platter drives will reach multi-platter products, your guess is as good as mine.

Actually, I believe both Seagate and Toshiba use 3x1TB platters on their 3TB drives in the current series, as well as 1x1TB on the 1TB's. They just "mysteriously" use 3x<something else> on the 2TB drives instead of 2x1TB, and keep on with the gymnastics at 4TB too.

I suspect platter flattering and vibrations from too many moving mechanical party are keeping the 4 TB drives at 5x800 GB. If they could WD would (or should?) have used their flagship thechnology in their flagship drives. Should even make them cheaper to produce (otherwise they wouldn't use the 1 TB platters in relatively cheap 1 TB drives yet, would they?). Well, not that the production costs matter any more at these HDD prices :P

MrS