Brod

4TB HDD with 1TB platters

39 posts in this topic

You're going to have to wait for Seagate it appears, Hitachi's are 5x800.

Seagate's current 4TB is 5x800GB too.

Still waiting for 4x1TB myself, especially in a nearline version. Le sigh.

Seagate's current 4TB is 5x800GB too.

Still waiting for 4x1TB myself, especially in a nearline version. Le sigh.

You better get used to waiting. Now that there are only 2 desktop drive manufacturers (Seagate and Western Digital), expect the capacity expansion to slow down and the prices to stay high.

Considering Hitachi is already using a 1 TB platter in the 7k1000.D, it's actually realistic to ask for a 4 TB and 5 TB model. However, performance of that Hitachi seems not very good, i.e. the write performance looks as if they're pushing the magnetics too hard. So wide spread adoption may take some more time.

MrS

That was back in September... so maybe a year would be enough time? If so, hypothetically speaking, that places us into THIS September.

Of course, that's all wishes, dreams, and theory at this point...

(kinda like the original Samsung F1 release...)

Seagate's new Barracuda drives are shipping in volume, tho, and those are all 1TB/platter. Admittedly those just came out, I wouldn't expect nearline ones to follow for a few more months. And those top out at a 3-platter model. :(

Now that Toshiba is in the 3.5" business maybe they'll surprise us with big capacity 1TB platters ;)

Seagate's new Barracuda drives are shipping in volume, tho, and those are all 1TB/platter.

Actually, not. As near as I can figure, only the 1tb and 3tb versions use 1TB platters. Note that the 2TB is a 3-platter design; I'd guess it and the 1.5 are using their older 750GB platters (though the datasheets still claim the 600-whatever gbit/in density) :huh:

They could be short stroked.. but that probably wouldn't make financial sense for Seagate, as lower density platters are readily available and probably cheaper. Someone needs to get a few of them and compare STR. But nobody's interested in testing HDDs any more.. ;p

MrS

Short-stroke vs. just lower density-- yeah, might be useful if someone could check. I'm looking at my desk right now and I have a few 1TB ones on it, but no 2TB ones...

5x800TB/platter Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000's are shipping in more volume now. Obviously (*sigh*) still no 4x1TB platter nearline 7200rpm drives...

And at $500 for a 4TB 7K4000 vs. $320 for a 3TB Constellation ES.2 3TB, well, honestly, per TB the Constellation ES.2 is looking pretty good. At least in situations where we're not terribly capacity/installed-numbers-of-disks capacity constrained.

Some of us require nearline disks, and have other considerations than just per-drive cost in our customer/system needs. :D

Call me a WD fanboi, (I have had the best experience with WD drives) I want them to release the 4or 5TB drives soon as well. Since I backup up everything to disk, I am staring to run out of space, 7TB and counting.

It getting near September, any rumbling in the WD camp?

According to some, WD has quietly released 1TB platter 7200 drives ( ).

If this is the case, then everything should be ready for a whole new Blue-Black lineup and they are waiting for the right time (possibly either the back to school or Christmas market?). Perhaps they are also wanting to get rid of the remaining 500GB platters stock without having to cut prices on those drives.

Speaking of the new line-up, I suppose 4TB with 4 platters is a realistic expectation for the WB Black

but is that a 4 or 5 platter SAS drive? Can't tell from the spec sheet unless I missed something. power consumption numbers are pretty high

but is that a 4 or 5 platter SAS drive? Can't tell from the spec sheet unless I missed something. power consumption numbers are pretty high

Well if memory serves me, WD has not produced a 5 patter drive in years, it seems unlikely they would do it now. As for the power, this is a SAS drive which usually has higher power consumption. The real news is that they have production of the 4TB dries so its only a matter of time before the launch it for the home consumer.

Well if memory serves me, WD has not produced a 5 patter drive in years,
They have Hitachi's technology now tho, so the drive could be an existing Hitachi 5x800GB that's been rebranded....

Woah, interesting...

One thing I wonder is why helium and not just pull a vacuum on the device. Is helium better then a vacuum?