Kevin OBrien

Apple iPad 3 and the Effect on Storage Discussion

Apple launched the much anticipated iPad 3 today, which builds on the most popular tablet platform to date. While most of the updates are evolutionary, a new camera, support for faster cell phone networks, and so on, perhaps the biggest deal is the new Retina display. The reason the new 2048 x 1536 pixel display is so exciting, which incidentally is higher resolution than 1080p, is that HD content becomes that much more gorgeous on the mobile device. While many will still stream a majority of their content, the space required for the multitude of high resolution content and especially games is going to rocket upward. The big question may be, is it safe to buy a 16GB iPad 3?

Apple iPad 3 and the Effect on Storage

Apple launched the much anticipated iPad 3 today, which builds on the most popular tablet platform to date. While most of the updates are evolutionary, a new camera, support for faster cell phone networks, and so on, perhaps the biggest deal is the new Retina display. The reason the new 2048 x 1536 pixel display is so exciting, which incidentally is higher resolution than 1080p, is that HD content becomes that much more gorgeous on the mobile device. While many will still stream a majority of their content, the space required for the multitude of high resolution content and especially games is going to rocket upward. The big question may be, is it safe to buy a 16GB iPad 3?

Apple iPad 3 and the Affect on Storage

I think by "affect" you meant "effect", no?

Pretty sure Brian had A is for Apple on the brain today :ph34r:

Since 'Apple' is in the title, it becomes 'A'. :P

That new 2048 x 1536 pixel display looks cool, but yeah, 16GB is too small. I guess it is a reason for the $399 price tag.

Anyways, I guess that means more competition in wireless storage(they are cool little devices), and as someone who likes the option of an high resolution display, I hope it gets PC/Notebook manufactures to "copy" them and at least provide us more higher resolutions options.

Glad we're having grammar chat today ;)

I think I'm still a buyer of the 16GB because I can't stand how Apple charges for the increased capacity. Just comes down to better management of apps, etc. With could storage it's pretty easy to switch around at will.

Glad we're having grammar chat today ;)

I think I'm still a buyer of the 16GB because I can't stand how Apple charges for the increased capacity. Just comes down to better management of apps, etc. With could storage it's pretty easy to switch around at will.

I think you need to stop using Apple's spell checker...I think they also don't like the word 'cloud', unless there is an 'i' in front of it :P

Also, the Ipad 2(yes 2) could be more attractive assuming how cheap it can become. For most home users, the old display, old cpu and cloud or wireless storage should be fine for most apps they will run.

They should have an option for a 160GB 1.8" single platter 5mm thick drive (Like in the regular Ipods) in the ipad 3. Manufactures could take that up to 250GB now days if they wanted to. The drive could be stopped most of the time and just spin up for a few seconds at a time to transfer data to the small SSD inside the ipad, so battery life wouldn't be an isuse.

It's the new IPad, not IPad 3. I pre-ordered the 16GB Wifi version which should hopefully work out ;-)

Can't wait to get my hands on this display...

What Apple calls it and everyone else may be two different things. iPad 3rd Generation doesn't really roll off the tongue. I think they made a significant marketing mistake.

What Apple calls it and everyone else may be two different things. iPad 3rd Generation doesn't really roll off the tongue. I think they made a significant marketing mistake.

Oh, I agree. Just easing you. Yes they did mess up in my opinion, with calling Ipad 2nd generation "Ipad 2" officially (even though the box and device did not have a "2" anywhere). Once they started the number game, there is no way back.

How about using geeky names like MC705LL/A (which is the Ipad 3rd generation 16GB Wifi only)? "I can't wait to get my hands on a MC705LL/A" - sounds so geeky .. LOL

LOL - well, we do have an order in for the 16GB, but I refuse to bow to your level of nerdism ;)

Well the display is the only thing that caught my eye. But with the (continued) lack of connectivity im going to stick with my Android tablet, full-sized USB port & 320GB drive Brian was nice enough to send me.

As for storage on the iPads, I wonder if its a classic "nobody will ever use more than 640k" oops or if apple expects people to put everything in the cloud, or if they have something else in the works.

It seems like apple was trying to keep costs down.

The new screen and huge battery are probably what prevented them from offering 128 GB of flash storage.

It seems like apple was trying to keep costs down.

The new screen and huge battery are probably what prevented them from offering 128 GB of flash storage.

I haven't seen the 16/32/64GB breakdown sales numbers. But I doubt that too many folks were running into issues with 64GB to justify a bigger model. Apple is also known to keep a lean line-up. 128GB would give parity with the Macbook Air starting storage option. Price wise, the 128GB version with LTE probably would likely be over $1k and therefore also overlap with the Airs.

On the other hand, and as previously noted in this thread, having a retina display, 1080p materials available in the Itunes store, 1080p video recording capability, an Iphoto app which accepts up to 19 megapixels pictures, yes, that all screams for 128G versions..

Well, our 16GB iPad 3rd Generation will be here Friday. I'm very interested to see how the app developers react in terms of app quality and ultimately size. Users who buy the little one like me are probably going to have to get used to app management, there just won't be room. At least with cloud download Apple makes it pretty easy to swap in and out. That one feature is what keeps the 16GB viable in my mind.