Sign in to follow this  
Sivar

Cheap, decent switch supporting link aggregation (teaming)?

Hello SR,

I haven't been around since Eugene handed the keys to Brian. Quite a few new faces here, and Brian seems to be remarkably active in the forums.

I have a question:

Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality network switch which supports link aggregation (AKA teaming/shotgunning, etc.)?

I have a home storage server which can reach a little over 700MB/sec locally, but network bandwidth is constrained to about 1/7 of that. I was going to get a 10Gbit switch and cards, but I thought I'd save money so instead got a 3-pack of diamond-encrusted Ferraris.

Server and desktop already have dual Intel Gbit NICs, so only the switch remains.

Edit: Please move to the networking forum, which I didn't notice until after posting.

Edited by Sivar

Depending on how many ports you need, this one has pretty good reviews and supports your link aggregation requirements:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-GS108T-NAS-Prosafe-8-Port-Gigabit/dp/B003KP8VSK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1330976726&sr=8-11

Netgear Pro stuff has treated me well over the years on the gigabit side. I still have a GS108 trunking along for my home network without a blip (besides power in the house going out) in probably 5+ years.

We're running mostly HP stuff here... not as familiar with their entry-level business stuff but there should be something there that'll work.

Actually for the home Netgear's stuff is okay, but under higher load our Netgear GSM7212's would periodically lose ports every two or three days. A power cycle would fix it. Ordered a bunch of them, then a few more (and some other models) a few times over the years, then gave up on using the lower-end Netgear stuff in production... today we pretty much exclusively stick to the nicer stuff from Cisco and HP.

We're running mostly HP stuff here... not as familiar with their entry-level business stuff but there should be something there that'll work.

Actually for the home Netgear's stuff is okay, but under higher load our Netgear GSM7212's would periodically lose ports every two or three days. A power cycle would fix it. Ordered a bunch of them, then a few more (and some other models) a few times over the years, then gave up on using the lower-end Netgear stuff in production... today we pretty much exclusively stick to the nicer stuff from Cisco and HP.

That's been my experience with Netgear equipment. For example, a school I worked for had 48-port Netgear switches which needed to be power cycled every so often. They weren't even under load, though the cycling was needed less often than every few days.

Depending on how many ports you need, this one has pretty good reviews and supports your link aggregation requirements:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-GS108T-NAS-Prosafe-8-Port-Gigabit/dp/B003KP8VSK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1330976726&sr=8-11

Netgear Pro stuff has treated me well over the years on the gigabit side. I still have a GS108 trunking along for my home network without a blip (besides power in the house going out) in probably 5+ years.

Thank you for the link. Even if Netgear stuff needs to be power cycled occasionally, that's not that big of a deal to me (though that may only be the case with certain models, rarely is a manufacturer's entire line based on the same hardware). I haven't used, or in fact heard of, their Pro line.

We run lots of Netgear GS108's and GS116's (I forget the exact model, but the dumb unmanaged one, GS108NA or some variation, etc. etc.)... for typical desktop use, or even a few desktops, they run fine forever as you;d expect.

But under any sort of real load, not so good. Granted the power cycling every few days wasn't a HUGE deal given our testing environment, but definitely much more of a hassle than the dead-reliable-never-have-to-think-about-it we're used to seeing out of our switches.

In terms of the loading and resets, when I bought the GS108 way back in the day, I opened up the case and used an adhesive heatsink on the primary chipset. That might help to draw more heat off it during higher loads and prevent some hangup issues.

I can recommend the HP Procurve 1800 Series. I'm running 2 of the older 1800-8G switches at home for a small vmware lab and and they've been running 24/7 for nearly 2 years now.

They might cost a bit more than the Netgear stuff but they are worth it.

The successor is the 1810-8G: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13447_div/13447_div.HTML

Price should be around $120-$140.

Not sure if you knew this or not but you won't be able to get more than 1gbit with multiple NIC's in a 1:1 relationship unless you are using round robin as your algorithm. If that is your goal, link aggregation will do nothing for you.