Now I'm looking for a kick ass HDD (not ssd) for game installations:

• size between 1,5Tb and 3Tb
  • no SSD
  • No raid (single disk setup)
  • sound is not a factor
  • S-ata interface
  • money is no object :lol:

All inputs appreciated!

Another thought too, the total capacity need without RAID kills of the Velociraptor which would be the ideal fit for you. Any way to work around that issue?

Thanks for the replies!

well, I guess SSD's aren't completely out of the question, but the only way to maintain my wish for space would be a quite massive raid chain. And with TRIM not working properly under a controller so far...

The WD VelociRaptor is not a bad idea I guess. A couple of 600's in raid 0 (soft) almost reach my minimum target of 1,5Tb. (why not a 3-some :)). Raid 0 feels so...vulnerable though... especially a "soft" one... Raid 0+1? Well I guess money CAN be an object at some point :lol:

Anyone with experience with the WD Caviar Black drives?

Why so much space? Well... I got a lot of games, and I hate uninstalling just to make room.:D

I had an first gen WD VelociRaptor 150Gb Sata-1 drive as system drive a few year ago. It was fast for it's time. But with today' s fast SSD's, it's literally a dinosaur. How does the latest VelociRaptor's stand against the competition you think?

Do you have time to wait a little bit? There may be another option that we know of but can't talk about yet ;)

Do you have time to wait a little bit? There may be another option that we know of but can't talk about yet ;)

Yes sir! but now I'm really curious!!! :D

Want to say more but the fear of litigation keeps us quiet. I think it's worth your time to wait though based on your needs.

"Soon" - I probably won't wait that long. ;)

If you could at least tell if it can be considered a competition to my current choice - Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB sATA III 64MB...

Sorry for hammering but currently I have 6 (six!) GBs of free space on my HDDs and I guess I can wait a week but a month is out of question.

BTW - in my case money is important (not the most important factor though) since I can spend 10-20% more but not twice as much...

Should I wait or go with Seagate?

regards,

Tom

If capacity is your main goal, I would go with the Seagate model you are eying ;)

I use the WD Caviar black 2TB drive on my system. Its a couple years old, but it still performs very nicely. Setup 2 of them in RAID0. Add a 80gb SSD as a boot drive, and you have some screaming storage.

I use the WD Caviar black 2TB drive on my system. Its a couple years old, but it still performs very nicely. Setup 2 of them in RAID0. Add a 80gb SSD as a boot drive, and you have some screaming storage.

Hi.

Yes, that set-up has crossed my mind too. Isn't it time for a new Black series sometime soon?? As you say, they have been on the market now for a couple of years now.

I'm leaning towards one or two WD VelociRaptor 1TB drives as game drives and keeping my OCZ Vertex 3 Max-iops 120GB as system ssd at this point.

But would it be possible to "cache up" a non C:/ hdd with some of the "use a ssd as cache" solutions?:huh: