Sign in to follow this  
dhanson865

ASUS M5A97 can't read SMART data in Windows

I moved my CPU/HS/drives from a M2A-VM (690G chipset with DDR2) to a M5A97 (970 chipset with DDR3) and reinstalled windows from the same XP SP3 CD. The only variable is the motherboard change.

I can't see SMART data in speedfan, crystal disk info, Samsung SSD magician, or HDTune. The drives work perfectly and show in disk management, device manager, POST, and BIOS. They haven't shown the slightest bit of flakiness.

I'm assuming this is either an issue with the AMD AHCI driver for the chipset or an issue with the ASUS BIOS. I'm using 0901 and the short list of bios options are:

Version 0901

1. Improve syatem stability.

Version 0810 Beta

1. Update AMD CPU firmware.

Version 0705

1. Support new CPUs.

As to the AHCI driver I'm using 3.2.1540.92 which aren't the latest from AMD but are the latest on the ASUS web site.

Does anybody know the fix for this issue or should I just wait for the BIOS to mature before spending much effort on this?

What are the drives in question?

IF one is a HDD, try a DOS or live CD based bootable diagnostic program. Also, there might a BIOS option related to SMART, so check if that is set to enable.

What are the drives in question?

IF one is a HDD, try a DOS or live CD based bootable diagnostic program. Also, there might a BIOS option related to SMART, so check if that is set to enable.

BIOS SMART options are enabled

Drives include

Samsung 830 SSD (64GB) from 2012.

WD20EARS (2TB SATA from 2011)

WD6400AAKS (640GB SATA)

WD2500KS (250GB SATA from 2006)

While it might be OK to occasionally boot into another OS to check or even move the drives to another motherboard with an older controller I'd like to get SMART data visible within windows on this motherboard.