Sign in to follow this  
Darking

homeserver upgrade help

Hello all.

Today I'm running a windows home server consisting of a http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images-SRW.tpl&product_id=346&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100166〈=nd zotac motherboard with 6 sata ports on.

Unfortunately I'm all out of ports, and my storage is over 8 Tb now.

As I see it my upgrade path is a) get a controller for more sata ports. B) upgrade my existings disks.

My disks ATM is a single 1 Tb disk and 5 1.5 tb disks.

I must admit that upgrading those seems a bit wasteful .

But I'm also uncertain what controller I can get that provides more ports and only use a single pci-e lane, preferably I would like a minimum of 6 more ports, and I have no need for raid. So a rocket raid or something like that might be over kill

curiosity- i assume u need all that scace for movies? u can get an external esata enclosure there are quite e few reviews on this sit about various internal & external solutions. and if u switch all those 1.5 into 3tb drives... u might have to partition then tho as i read something a while back about win home server(iassume that is what u are using) has some issues with 2+ tb drives- prolly wrong about that tho.

Yeah it's mostly movies and backups.

I must admit changing 1.5TB drives pains me, since they already are fairly large. And I do not believe that the motherboard supports larger than 2tb drives.

I suppose e-sata could be a solution although I still have room for 8 more disks in my chassis.