Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kangkan

NAS or Media Server?

9 posts in this topic

I am planning to have central repository for media as well as backup and file sharing for my computers.

I have a DLink N300 router with USB3.0.

What I am looking for is a solution for having a central storage for media (movies, mp3, phote) and for the other files for the PCs. I shall be happy to share the media among the PCs and view it on TV (I am planning to upgrade my TV and so currently open on that). I do not have a separate media player.

I shall like to have your guidance in this. Please feel free to ask questions in this regards.

Kangkan

My home on the net

Depends on how much storage you need, but any of the modern home NAS systems would work well for you. Our preference is generally Synology if you want a ton of features, but there are other good options too. Netgear makes a good unit, the Buffalo CloudStor with Pogoplug is nice too. Kind of depends on what you want to do.

Depends on how much storage you need, but any of the modern home NAS systems would work well for you. Our preference is generally Synology if you want a ton of features, but there are other good options too. Netgear makes a good unit, the Buffalo CloudStor with Pogoplug is nice too. Kind of depends on what you want to do.

Thanks Brian. I shall look at the products indicated.

Storage volume might be around 2TB. Of course, future upgrade/addition is welcome.

The key features are:

1. Being able to backup/share files within my home network

2. Media (movies/pictures/songs) usage on my computers and TV/DVD player+Apmplifier.

Lower power consumption should be a key factor in selection.

Regards,

Kangkan

You don't need anything complex then. I'd look at a 2 or 4 bay Synology then. I'm using the 712+ for the same exact duties in my home right now -

http://www.storagereview.com/synology_diskstation_ds712_review

That one is a little more expensive as it's designed more for SMB, they also have 3 units that are more home centric with varying levels of performance -

http://www.storagereview.com/synology_announces_three_more_2bay_diskstations

Those start at $200.

I went with Windows Home Server for two reasons:

1. It has an incredible backup system for the rest of your household PCs, featuring multilevel deduplicated backups, file level restore through Explorer, and simple bare metal restores for your PCs.

2. I wanted to be able to run Windows programs on it that I wanted running 24/7 without having to create load on my PC.

If neither of those are an issue for you, then a NAS is probably the ideal solution.

1. It has an incredible backup system for the rest of your household PCs, featuring multilevel deduplicated backups, file level restore through Explorer, and simple bare metal restores for your PCs.

2. I wanted to be able to run Windows programs on it that I wanted running 24/7 without having to create load on my PC.

If neither of those are an issue for you, then a NAS is probably the ideal solution.

It seems to be an unneccessary one for me. Except running a software, rest all are available on NAS these days and it comes at a fairly lower price for my kind of users.

It seems to be an unneccessary one for me. Except running a software, rest all are available on NAS these days and it comes at a fairly lower price for my kind of users.

I think perhaps I'm not communicating well what the backup does. I haven't seen a NAS unit that does anything close to the system backups that WHS does for your desktops/laptops scattered around your environment. Heck, most enterprise backup software won't even do it, or requires expensive add-on modules. WHS costs $100, and at that price it's a steal. It certainly isn't the best solution for file storage, but for 10 systems or less you won't find a better backup solution.

My preference for home NAS is

M2NPV MX Motherboard, it has a Mini-ATX form factor, four on-board SATA connectors; most importantly, it supports ECC memory

AMD Athlon Dual-Core CPU

2x1GB RAM with ECC

Antec NSK4400 Mini-ATX case, with custom modifications to hold 4 3.5" disks internally, DVD reader and 4-750GB Seagate 7200rpm hard disks

This is enough to provide you with 2TB redundant and online storage at a low cost

How large a server did you use for this server? SAS vs SATA? Internal Raid? Memory? CPU?