urbanriot

Western Digital removes warranty of RMA drives

This might be common sense for some, but many may forget to check this...

If you RMA a newer drive with a warranty expiry date of 2015, your advance replacement drive may be out of warranty and your warranty will not be automatically transferred.

I had an issue last month that involved a great deal of paperwork investigating, as I had an original NCIX invoice, the original WD HD serial number of a drive that was purchased a year ago. The replacement drive arrived and I decided on a whim to check the refurb's warranty date; the drive was out of warranty! I called up Western Digital and even though I had all of the above information, they needed more so I dug up the original RMA paperwork and they transferred the warranty.

I called today to have them transfer the warranty on two drives that are not quite 'case closed' as they haven't received ours yet, and the representative recorded my information, put me on hold for a few minutes and then I was told they made a note of the information and the warranty data will be updated once they receive our drives. So, if I hadn't called... the replacement drives would be out of warranty.

Time will tell if they actually do what they'd said they'd made a note to do and I'll update once I find out.

But, as a reminder, make sure you transfer the warranty from your previous drive to your refurb drive.

Edited by urbanriot

Could have been a fluke in the RMA process, although it is always good to check and recheck the warranty information after an RMA takes place. Good that they corrected it, although still not that great that it slipped through the cracks.

Could have been a fluke in the RMA process, although it is always good to check and recheck the warranty information after an RMA takes place. Good that they corrected it, although still not that great that it slipped through the cracks.

We've since audited all our RMA'd drives for all our recent customers and as it turns out, none of them have had their warranties transferred. We have at least 20 drives here from the past few months with lesser warranties than the original drives.

We've instituted a new RMA policy where we record serial numbers of both drives to ensure someone doesn't lose their warranty.

Yikes! Almost makes you think it might have become a policy or soon will be a policy. Did this happen right around the switch of the new warranty lengths?

Felt it necessary to update this thread as Western Digital has pulled a 'fast one' on many of our previously stated 5 year warranty enterprise drives.

Original WD5000ABYS drive warrantied until 2014 was replaced with an enterprise drive that had a build date of August, 2011 last summer. Okay, great, it looks like a new drive with newer date, it's not a refurb, must be under warranty for a long time.

Fast forward about 8 months and the drive has failed. Warranty expired December, 2011 (! four months after the build date)

I decided to scrounge through our paperwork and pull up the original serial number of the first replaced drive and it's coming up as "Out of region" with a description, "Product is outside the region (Americas, Europe-Middle East-Africa, or Asia-Pacific) where it was originally shipped." Yeaaa... not exactly.

So, to add to my previous post it seems that Western Digital lies as they do not transfer the warranty as their representatives stated and if you do not retain your paperwork, you lose your warranty if your drive breaks under warranty. So far none of our January RMA'd drives have retained their original warranty.

I'm going to try and RMA this recent drive and relay what the representatives state concerning warranty.

Again, save all RMA paperwork, packing slips, communications when dealing with Western Digital.

Edited by urbanriot

Felt it necessary to update this thread as Western Digital has pulled a 'fast one' on many of our previously stated 5 year warranty enterprise drives.

Original WD5000ABYS drive warrantied until 2014 was replaced with an enterprise drive that had a build date of August, 2011 last summer. Okay, great, it looks like a new drive with newer date, it's not a refurb, must be under warranty for a long time.

Fast forward about 8 months and the drive has failed. Warranty expired December, 2011 (! four months after the build date)

I decided to scrounge through our paperwork and pull up the original serial number of the first replaced drive and it's coming up as "Out of region" with a description, "Product is outside the region (Americas, Europe-Middle East-Africa, or Asia-Pacific) where it was originally shipped." Yeaaa... not exactly.

So, to add to my previous post it seems that Western Digital lies as they do not transfer the warranty as their representatives stated and if you do not retain your paperwork, you lose your warranty if your drive breaks under warranty. So far none of our January RMA'd drives have retained their original warranty.

I'm going to try and RMA this recent drive and relay what the representatives state concerning warranty.

Again, save all RMA paperwork, packing slips, communications when dealing with Western Digital.

That's excellent advice and information to know. Thanks very much for updating this thread!

Not to derail this thread at all, but can anyone comment on whether they've fared better with Seagate on RMAs under warranty and future RMAs under the same warranty? So I understand the warranties, are they much like a cell phone in that if you replace a unit nearing its warranty expiration with your carrier, does the replacement carry an extension to at least get you a few months out past the original warranty? Or are you left with, let's say, the 16 remaining days of the original warranty to hope that the new drive survives a more fruitful life? Or perhaps the better of the two in a situation where time is very limited? I'm in the process of building a home server and a new desktop and trying to sort out who I prefer to purchase my drives from as I'll need to buy about 5 or 6 between the two builds.

We've never had any issues with RMA'd drives and warranty status from Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital, Toshiba, Fujitsu, etc.

(that said my purchasing department could just be taking care of any issues without me knowing...)

Or are you left with, let's say, the 16 remaining days of the original warranty to hope that the new drive survives a more fruitful life?
This. You get the original warranty and nothing more.

Since the last entry on this was in 2012, I wanted to update the thread and relay that Western Digital is still trying their best to get out of their warranty obligations.  I had two drives purchased at the exact same time at Microcenter, about a year ago.  They have both failed (as has every other Western Digital drive I've ever purchased) and so I went to the WD website to check on the warranties and obtain RMA's.  

Even though they were purchased at the same time and are the same model, one was listed as in-warranty and one was out-of-warranty.  When I tried to register the one that they stated was in-warranty (as you probably know, WD requires you to "register" their products before you can obtain warranty info), after I had entered all of the information, they came back with a message that they declined to register the drive, as the warranty had been voided because this was an OEM drive sold as a PC component and wasn't warranted by WD.  That is 100% not true,  The only option they gave was to call them, and I did so but hung up in disgust after waiting some 20 minutes on hold with no end in sight.  

While I have always had pretty horrible luck with EVERY brand of hard drive, WD seems to fail more than most and their customer service is repugnant.  I have bought my last WD drive. I'm just going to throw these two in the garbage and consider it a harsh lesson.