Sign in to follow this  
opticker

How to record a trace for benchmarking?

I'm looking to test the speed of an SSD in a real-world usage scenario that fits the typical workflow in my lab. What software can I use to record my own I/O trace and evaluate the drive's performance? I see SR and Anandtech often referring to this sort of benchmarking technique, but I can't find a description of how exactly it's done.

Generally speaking most trace solutions are custom and specific for the platform being recorded. We can't disclose what we use, nor do we know what Anandtech uses in their reviews. That said, I do recall one of the bigger flash manufacturers having a software suite they used in-house, although no idea if the software is still in service or publicly available.

Generally speaking most trace solutions are custom and specific for the platform being recorded. We can't disclose what we use, nor do we know what Anandtech uses in their reviews. That said, I do recall one of the bigger flash manufacturers having a software suite they used in-house, although no idea if the software is still in service or publicly available.

Bustrace can help you, but it is not free...

Www.bustrace.com

It is a soft analyzer that place itself between the OS and the drivers, capturing all ios to the devices attached. You can select which one to capture command to...

Hope this helps!

MEJV