Sign in to follow this  
Kevin OBrien

OCZ Octane SSD Review (128GB) Discussion

Today we reviewed the smaller 128GB OCZ Octane SSD, which looks at the smaller spectrum of this Indilinx-powered platform. The previous capacity reviewed was the 512GB model, which offered the highest write speeds in this SSD family.

OCZ Octane SSD Review (128GB)

Thank you for including the steady-state 4KiB write results in this review.

I hope SR will include this test in the future for ALL SSDs, since it is useful to know for both consumer and enterprise models.

Also, it would be nice if you would add the results for the SS test to the recent Corsair Performance Pro and Plextor M3S reviews.

thx! dont think this drive is viable until it reaches the approx price point you mentioned. like u said, think that will happen pretty quicklioke john, lookin forward to that update.

no rest for the..;)

Thank you for including the steady-state 4KiB write results in this review.

I hope SR will include this test in the future for ALL SSDs, since it is useful to know for both consumer and enterprise models.

Also, it would be nice if you would add the results for the SS test to the recent Corsair Performance Pro and Plextor M3S reviews.

Since we don't exactly know when the replacement M3S will be coming in, we are now running the SS benchmarks on the Performance Pro.

Later this week expect to see a massive shift in the enterprise/consumer review styles. ;)

I was wondering if speeds would drop with capacity like on some other controllers and it seems like they do, doesn't seem like the best value right now. Thanks for reviewing this one.

I was wondering if speeds would drop with capacity like on some other controllers and it seems like they do, doesn't seem like the best value right now. Thanks for reviewing this one.

If you think it's only "some" controllers you are being misled. All SSDs have slower writes on lower capacity drives.

I know that but I was under the impression that some are affected more than others. Is that not the case? This is quite a large reduction but then again, I have not seen any other reviews comparing a 512GB drive and a 128gb. Happy to be proven wrong, it'll make any future purchase easier. :D

SandForce drives are affected less by the drop. But the rest of the controllers all see this behavior, perhaps not as severe as with the Indilinx though.