mike2h

wd to cut warranty on mainstream drives

Windows Vista with a Sony recovery disc on a laptop - but also adding things like Visual Studio and a full Adobe Suite plus a significant amount of updates.
Ah. You're definitely NOT a standard desktop user by any stretch of the imagination. ;)
If you write less than 4K, then a 4K block of flash is written to - no matter how tiny the data. Compressing it doesn't help.

That's the issue with small files.

For a single write you are correct, but if you have multiple writes that could be compressed, then yes, it helps. If that wasn't the case, then there's no way Sandforce would be able to get their write amplification levels below a factor of 1. ;)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2899/3

Now why would point 2 make that any better?

The fact that something can be replaced at a low cost doesn't automatically make it a disposable item. Plus, most drives have a minimum cost of around 40-50€ going up right now, for the smallest model.

Not something I want to be forced to spend on a replacement.

Warranties don't come out a a vacuum. I even if you are never use it, it is still costing you money to insure other people. So the question then becomes should you have to subsidize your drive if someone else improperly handle their drive? placed in this context your answer is probably no. So then we are back to the physiological part where this change really doesn't effect the vast majority of the people and those that it does effect probably would not hesitate just running out and getting a new drive.

I think that perhaps WD and Seagate should take the route of extended warranty program where you can pay more money up front to have a longer a warranty. The only problem with this is that around 90% of the people will not buy into that warranty.

Warranties don't come out a a vacuum. I even if you are never use it, it is still costing you money to insure other people. So the question then becomes should you have to subsidize your drive if someone else improperly handle their drive? placed in this context your answer is probably no. So then we are back to the physiological part where this change really doesn't effect the vast majority of the people and those that it does effect probably would not hesitate just running out and getting a new drive.

I think that perhaps WD and Seagate should take the route of extended warranty program where you can pay more money up front to have a longer a warranty. The only problem with this is that around 90% of the people will not buy into that warranty.

And again you are making assumptions :)

Now yes, everybody will to some extent subsidize warranties - on the other hand, normal profits should suffice to cover warranty expenses.

But where you are making an assumption is, that someone improperly handled their drive - why?

A drive can fail without improper handling - in fact, being a piece of electronics, it can fail any day.

On one occasion, after a year, a Samsung laptop drive just died on me... about 4 years ago...

Option to pay for a extended warranty?

2 months ago a Harddrive that cost $65.00 with a 3 year warranty are now selling for $150.00 Bucks with 2 year warranty or less. And you are suggesting we pay WD or Seagate even more for a extended warranty....You have lost your freak-en mind or have more money than sense!

Edited by Ricky_005