Sign in to follow this  
Kevin OBrien

Hitachi 4TB Deskstar 5K4000 and 4TB Touro Desk External Drives Announc

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies has announced the Deskstar 5K4000 Internal Hard Drive Kit and the Touro Desk External Hard Drive. The Deskstar 5K4000 is a 3.5" desktop hard drive with 5400RPM CoolSpin technology, 32MB drive cache and SATA 6 GB/s interface. The Touro Desk family of external hard drives are available in capacities up to 4TB and feature the Deskstar 5K4000 inside.

Read Full Article

I also want to know if we are looking at 4 platters here or not.

Since I got my 3TB drives for $106 each, I won't really be interested in buying any of these 4TB drives till they drop below $150. With the HDD market the way it is now, I might be waiting awhile.

Edited by grogthegreat

From the max areal density listed, smells like 800GB platters.

While not stated specifically, I agree. The AD is much higher on the new 7K1000 for instance.

Why is there such an obsession with external drives? I picked up some external WD 3TB drives from Costco for $90 each, but I haven't been able to find internal 3TB drives for anywhere near that price.

On the topic of this external drive is that it does some weird translations so that the formatting while inside the enclosure isn't compatible with it outside the enclosure. So if the encloser dies, I lose all of my data...