Sign in to follow this  
vorpel

New Seagate Barracuda 3TB - ST3000DM001 - Raid 5/6?

I am in the process of setting up a new raid6 array using an Areca ARC-1120 raid card and 8 Seagate 3TB hard drives. Currently I have 2x 16 drive Seagate Barracuda XT 1.5TB arrays (both with Areca ARC-1260 adapters) that have been functioning fine for going on 2 years.

Based on this and how hard drive prices have skyrocketed I purchased 8 of the Seagate Go-Flex 3TB external hard drives during the BF sales. Upon opening 6 of the cases (2 won't be delivered until later today) I found 4 Barracuda XT 3TB drives and 2 of the new Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB drives.

Having had success before with the Barracuda XT drives in Raid6, I didn't think it would be a problem setting up the new array, but the "new" 3TB drive has given me pause and I need to understand if there are any firmware differences that would make using them in a Raid 5/6/10 array a problem.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with this "new" Seagate 3TB drive being able to run in Raid 5/6/10? I do understand that both Areca and Seagate don't "support" Raid 5/6/10 on these drives and recommend the enterprise drives, but with hard drives prices so high right now these drives are all I can afford for now. Since this isn't a "green" drive my hope is that there isn't anything like WD's TLER in these new Seagate drives that will make Raid 5/6/10 arrays crap out like the WD Green drives do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-DC

Update: I just ran smartctl against the Seagate ST3000DM001 drives and they report: "Warning: device does not support SCT Error Recovery Control command". The Seagate Barracuda XT drives do support ERC, but it is disabled by default.

I'm not sure if my Areca ARC-1120 card needs to have ERC set or not. Either way I guess I won't be using the new ST3000DM001 drives in anything other than Raid 0 or Raid 1.

Thanks.

Much like the Barracuda XT's, my best answer to you is "good luck"...

:ph34r:

aka I haven't tried it myself, it's definitely not recommended for enterprise use, but, well, you can try it...