Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin OBrien

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Mini Review Discussion

6 posts in this topic

OWC makes the only MacBook Air SSD replacements, which offer tremendous performance improvements especially with the latest generation MacBook Air which can leverage the benefits of the SATA 6Gb/s interface. To help upgraders get some use out of their stock SSD, OWC released adaptations of two of their 2.5" drive enclosures. We tested the Mercury On-The-Go and enjoyed its sleek design, but for those who want more interface options and the benefits of an all aluminum body, the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Mini has a ton to offer.

Read Full Review

great idea & price if combined purchase option is used. i dont get the 2 firewire ports tho.. & it looks like the could have easily made it not much wider than their interface board with only i firewire & doubling up on something else.

thx for info.

wouldnt that slow things down tho if more than one device was being accessed? only so much bandwidth available. in this case i think i would prefer smaller vs expandabilty. cool concept tho.

There would be response time decreases if you're accessing multiple drives that are daisy chained, depending on their speeds.

The case could be much skinier but that's not what OWC was trying to do, they're just adapting their current 2.5" cases.

Thanks for the review!

It might be useful to test USB 3.0, since folks who own both Mac + non-Apple machines could potentially get some great use out of this.

I hope OWC or someone else makes a roll-your-own enclosure to clone the functionality of Momentus XT, possibly with the MacBook Air SSD sticks (since they have such a small form factor). If Seagate can do it on the PCB of a drive, why not in a 2.5" external enclosure? Better yet, one that fits in the optical bay (since there's more space than necessary for a 2.5" HDD).