Kevin OBrien

SSD Giveaway Thread!

They only bought the HDD division as far as I'm aware.

What I'm confused about is that WD bought Hitachi yet Hitachi continues to release new drives like the 5 platter 4TB drive. What's up there? I just hope that when WD says they are cutting warranties, that any new Hitachi drives aren't affected.

They only bought the HDD division as far as I'm aware.

What I'm confused about is that WD bought Hitachi yet Hitachi continues to release new drives like the 5 platter 4TB drive. What's up there? I just hope that when WD says they are cutting warranties, that any new Hitachi drives aren't affected.

The Hitachi deal was announced but had to wait for regulatory (government) approval before completing. That often takes months if not a year or more. Even after that it will take additional months if not another year to get rid of the name if they choose to do so. Hitachi hard drives could be made forever by WD just like linkys products made by Cisco (that purchase was 8 years ago).

Hitachi will probably own about 10 percent of Western Digital stock at the time of the purchase and it only got EU conditional approval last month (Nov 2011). It still hasn't been finalized even after 9 months since the first announcement.

Hitachi said that the deal, which had been expected to be completed in the October-December quarter, is now expected to be finalized by March 2012.

Hitachi's president says "very concerned" about possible further delays in sale of hard disk drive business to Western Digital

-- Delay beyond March would affect Hitachi's cash flow forecasts for current fiscal year

Western Digital Corp has yet to gain approval from various international regulators.

"Authorities are continuing to examine the deal, and it's not clear what China will say,"