Sign in to follow this  
haideeerpsoftware

Anti-Virus Advice

I use AVG for my computer and I don't think I can afford a subscription (in other words, I'm freebie dependent). The only way I've managed to really secure my computer from viruses is by using this unique feature that came with the PC unit.

I'm not sure if anyone here has heard of it but it's called Ram Disk Mode. I don't how it works exactly (being the tech noob that I am ), but switching to this mode sorta 'freezes' my computer's memory so any weird or unexpected changes that happen to it can just be reversed by hitting reset.

However, it kind of causes my computer to slow down drastically and it's one of the reasons why I'm thinking investing in a new desktop. Unfortunately, I'm still quite attached to my current PC's Ram Disk Mode because it's the only way I've managed to download, stream, and stick a flash disk into it without having to reformat the darn thing because a virus got in.

Seriously, I'm in a dilemma. Sure I could just keep the old desktop and use it for downloads and stuff but... I don't know how the rest of my family is going to like it. (My mother especially. She hates things taking up space since our house is quite small.)

Edited by haideeerpsoftware

If you have a genuine copy of a windows OS, check out Microsoft's Security Essential(MSE). It is free, lightweight and does a pretty good job(check out comparisons at http://www.av-comparatives.org/).

I am not familiar with that Ram disk mode, but that sounds like a type of sandbox security type program. Are you talking about a tool like sandboxie(http://www.sandboxie.com/)? You can set some of your memory/Ram to be a Ram disk(like a separate hard drive), but I don't see a "tech noob" doing that.

The latest version of Windows aka Windows 7(it has more security and restore features to stay up and running) and a decent updated antivirus should be enough for most people. If that is not enough, then you need to analyze your browsing/downloading habits.

As for browsing, Firefox with Adblock Plus or Google's Chrome with AdBlock Plus should be enough. Advertisements while browsing "bad" sites are usually the main reason for getting infected, so if you block the advertisements, you block most of the risks.

For downloading, as long as you don't execute/run any program without doing a google search on the name(to determine if it is legit) you should be fine.

If you have a genuine copy of a windows OS, check out Microsoft's Security Essential(MSE). It is free, lightweight and does a pretty good job(check out comparisons at http://www.av-comparatives.org/).

All right, thanks!

I am not familiar with that Ram disk mode, but that sounds like a type of sandbox security type program. Are you talking about a tool like sandboxie(http://www.sandboxie.com/)? You can set some of your memory/Ram to be a Ram disk(like a separate hard drive), but I don't see a "tech noob" doing that.

Actually, I think it does something like that (which would explain why my computer is slower every time I use that mode). Still, it was already built-in my PC. It used to be one of the PCs in my parents' internet cafe before we had to close down. I really don't know how it works or how I could get a new PC to do the same thing. Whatever lets me switch into these modes actually starts up when I boot up the computer (right before the Windows loading screen).

I do know one thing. It says it's a Red Fox product (although I can't find my model any more on the company website).

For downloading, as long as you don't execute/run any program without doing a google search on the name(to determine if it is legit) you should be fine.

Erk... that's my problem. There are times where I definitely wind up in pretty shady sites out of necessity. :(

Something like your "RAM Disk Mode" may be useful in preventing malware from persisting on the machine long term, but will do little to protect you from today's malware from stealing information from you. Some malware will infect your browser through exploits, and harvest information you enter into other websites (such as capturing the username/password you used to log in here - or your bank). You would be amazed at the number of people (perhaps yourself included!) who will use the same username and password on an online forum that they use for their paypal, ebay, or bank account.

Most of the bad guys today are after credentials or financial information they can use for fraud, and they do this through software that seeks out and steals that data.

Other malware will infect you and look through that flash drive for any interesting information to send off to its masters (say a quicken data file, or a tax return, or an order receipt with a credit card number). It might not persist, but most damage is done within minutes of the infection.

Ultimately, you need to figure out the value you place on your information you may access with this computer, and the value you place on your time in cleaning up an infection or cleaning up a fraud attack. A paid security package will be your best insurance here, but there are some free versions that may meet your cost/benefit trade off. av-comparatives.org is a great site for independent assessments of security software, look for "real world" or "dynamic" tests which reflect the full protection of your system, not "retrospective" or "static" tests which are more geared towards brute force scanning.

I use AVG for my computer and I don't think I can afford a subscription (in other words, I'm freebie dependent). The only way I've managed to really secure my computer from viruses is by using this unique feature that came with the PC unit.

I'm not sure if anyone here has heard of it but it's called Ram Disk Mode. I don't how it works exactly (being the tech noob that I am ), but switching to this mode sorta 'freezes' my computer's memory so any weird or unexpected changes that happen to it can just be reversed by hitting reset.

However, it kind of causes my computer to slow down drastically and it's one of the reasons why I'm thinking investing in a new desktop. Unfortunately, I'm still quite attached to my current PC's Ram Disk Mode because it's the only way I've managed to download, stream, and stick a flash disk into it without having to reformat the darn thing because a virus got in.

Seriously, I'm in a dilemma. Sure I could just keep the old desktop and use it for downloads and stuff but... I don't know how the rest of my family is going to like it. (My mother especially. She hates things taking up space since our house is quite small.)

yeah im a freebie user aswell..and Im using AVG too..