Kevin OBrien

Intel Bringing TRIM Support To RAID0 With RST 11.5 Discussion

14 posts in this topic

Exciting news for anyone currently using their new SSD in RAID0! Intel will finally be bringing TRIM support. Currently the only way for TRIM to function on an SSD is to operate in AHCI mode. This means that drives in high-performance arrays such as RAID0 lose the NAND cleaning benefits which could decrease speeds as time goes on or as the drives fill up. Intel has stated that current RST versions don't yet support TRIM, but it will be unveiling it with RST 11.5.

Read Full Review

You were quick to catch my post, oh and I bolded it, it wasn’t at first. I saw it mentioned on several other forums from a couple of days. It is better than just GC for sure! But how long the wait will be?

Very quick ;)

I wonder how long until it comes out for other RAID forms.

I'm very excited for this...it's been talked about before - but this time I hope it's for real.

I assume Intel is just talking about their newer SSDs with the Marvel controller (and 520 SSD with high likelihood of a Sandforce), not applicable to the X25-m G2 SSDs?

Anyone have any idea when they'll get around to supporting TRIM in a RAID 1 set?

I'd love to move to SSDs but am nervous doing it without some sort of redundancy to cover all of the SSD issues I keep hearing about.

Anyone have any idea when they'll get around to supporting TRIM in a RAID 1 set?

I'd love to move to SSDs but am nervous doing it without some sort of redundancy to cover all of the SSD issues I keep hearing about.

Or are any of the current crop of SSD's good enough with idle time GC that I can run a pair in RAID 1 without TRIM and not lose too much performance?

Edited by lunadesign

We know it's coming, we've asked Intel about it recently and we're getting the "soon" kind of response.