Sign in to follow this  
theoryzero

BSOD - Is it my SSD?

I bought a 120GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro back in February of this year.

About a week ago I started noticing my computer having a blue screen when I got up in the morning. My computer wakes up from sleep in the middle of the night to run a nightly backup to my home server. There are no dump files written by Windows, presumably it is because my SSD is not responsive. If I reset the PC it may not detect the SSD during POST, but a power cycle fixes the detection issue. OWC issued a firmware update back in March, I have updated with my drive with the latest firmware but the problem persists.

I've experienced a few BSOD while actively using the computer. Usually the computer slows to a halt and is non-responsive for a couple minutes. The clock on the desktop keeps ticking, so the system isn't completely frozen, but the apps that are running don't respond to input. After a while, the BSOD appears. The error seems to be STOP: 0x000000F4.

Anyhow, I think given the SSD is not detected after reset, the log files never get written to disk, and the system is unresponsive (and the SSD is my system drive) I feel like the issue is likely due to the SSD. OWC has given me an RMA number, but I would need to move the SSDs image to a hard drive before I return it. Is there any issues with moving a system drive partition from an SSD to a HD? I remembered reading that a fresh install of Windows 7 on an SSD sets up TRIM and other functionality correctly. If the system drive is replaced with a HD, will I run into further problems with Windows?

If you clone to a hard drive, everything should carry over fine. All of those SSD related changes would be automatically adjusted for. Have you updated the firmware on this particular drive yet?

Hey Tom,

Yes, I successfully updated to the latest firmware last night.

What do you recommend for cloning? My nightly backups go to a box running Windows Home Server, but that doesn't make an image of the drive per my understanding.

Acronis works wonders for us.

No dice. If I log into windows the machine locks up within 30 seconds. I tried an Ubuntu LiveCD in hopes of copying the partition using gparted but it reports IO errors coming from the SSD. I'm guessing it's dying quickly, will ship back to OWC on Monday.

No dice. If I log into windows the machine locks up within 30 seconds. I tried an Ubuntu LiveCD in hopes of copying the partition using gparted but it reports IO errors coming from the SSD. I'm guessing it's dying quickly, will ship back to OWC on Monday.

Big kudos to OWC for processing my RMA very quickly. Shipped the SSD on Monday, arrived at OWC on Tuesday, got a tracking number for the replacement, and it was in my hands on Wednesday. Just about 48 hours total, from the time I shipped it to the time had received the replacement. It helped that OWC is only about 250 miles away from my home, but I certainly didn't expect to have the replacement before the long holiday weekend. Great service!

Big kudos to OWC for processing my RMA very quickly. Shipped the SSD on Monday, arrived at OWC on Tuesday, got a tracking number for the replacement, and it was in my hands on Wednesday. Just about 48 hours total, from the time I shipped it to the time had received the replacement. It helped that OWC is only about 250 miles away from my home, but I certainly didn't expect to have the replacement before the long holiday weekend. Great service!

Great to hear about great service!

250 Miles? You must be close to us then in CIncinnati. Kevin did a site tour with OWC not long ago, their facility is absolutely fantastic and very eco-aware.

Great to hear about great service!

250 Miles? You must be close to us then in CIncinnati. Kevin did a site tour with OWC not long ago, their facility is absolutely fantastic and very eco-aware.

Ah, nope I'm the other way in Cedar Rapids, IA. Not that I would of expected anyone to guess that!

I just wanted to chime in about my RMA experience with OWC since I've seen complaints about OCZ taking a few weeks to process RMAs. At the time I bought the OWC drive I was uncertain of how their customer service was, but was wary based on the negative reviews I had read about Vertex 2's and OCZ handling the RMAs. While I'm bummed to have experienced a failure, I think the extra cash the OWC drive cost over a Vertex 2 was worth it for the snappy customer service.

Ironically while I waited for a replacement I had reinstalled Windows on my WD Velociraptor. The day before the replacement SSD arrived I was getting a bunch of errors in the event log saying I should run chkdsk to repair issues on the windows volume. I'd do that, it'd say fine and then after I reboot even more errors would pop up. Wonder if my Velociraptor is dying too? I removed it from the system and put Windows back on the SSD. Nothing is hooked up to that SATA port now, it seems to be cursed!

Might want to check the either (your controller?) or perhaps your Power supply?

Tons of faulting components usually trends towards something else causing it. If it's only hard drives I'd lean towards the controller. Otherwise I'd lean towards faulting PSU.