Sign in to follow this  
TSullivan

Plextor PX-M3S SSD Released With True Speed Discussion

Plextor announced a new line of solid state drives, the M3S. The M3S weighs in at 2.5” with a bracket to adapt to 3.5”, comes with a 5 year warranty, and comes in a variety of capacities: 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB. The new line also boasts sequential read/write speeds of up to 525MB/s read and 445MB/s write, and random read/write speeds of up to 70,000/65,000 IOPS.

Read Full Article

Appears to be, just rescanned the PR sheet and found this

"Furthermore, M3S SSDs uses the latest SATA 6Gb/s (SATA III) interface, Marvell’s server-grade controller, and Toshiba 24nm NAND flash"

Appears to be, just rescanned the PR sheet and found this

"Furthermore, M3S SSDs uses the latest SATA 6Gb/s (SATA III) interface, Marvell’s server-grade controller, and Toshiba 24nm NAND flash"

Yeah, same price-range as M4 and similar speeds give it away. Besides, there are only that many chips you can safely use in a commercial product nowadays. And 50% chance - it's Marvell.

so what is the difference between it and the pxm2p?

well anything besides the m2p uses 32(34?) and this drive uses 24 & has 5 yr warranty.

am i missing something(again)? i thought the larger die nand gave increased durability. yeth the 24 has 5yrs & the larger 3 yr...

Edited by mike2h

Sounds like this one might be a more consumer focused drive where the other was aimed at business clients. Hard to say right now before having it in our hands but it might be a 16 versus 8 channel NAND configuration.

wouldnt the business vers have the longer warranty tho?

looking forward to that. am considering one of these 2 drives over the owc merc extreme. seems like the marvell controllers are more robust(by this i am talking about durability less problems) than the sandforce.

Hard to tell exactly until we get it in our hands, the PR generally doesn't have the good bits like NAND configuration and the specific processor build. If they did as well with the M3 as they did with the latest M2, then there's good reason to be looking forward to it. I have to be honest, Plextor has really surprised me with their latest efforts.

It looks like they'll at least be close...if you got a good deal I'd hold on to it. We'll be getting our review unit next week it looks like. Will try to post some early results ASAP.

Guys, correct me if i'm wrong, but on the plextor site it is listed with the following specs:

PX-128M3S -->

Sequential Read (MB/S) 510

Sequential Write (MB/S) 210

Random Read (IOPS 4K) 70,000

Random Write (IOPS 4K) 50,000

PX-128M2P -->

Sequential Read (MB/S) 500

Sequential Write (MB/S) 320

Random Read (IOPS 4K) 70,000

Random Write (IOPS 4K) 65,000

Both have 256MB cache. So it seems that the newer M3S is 15k IOPS slower with random 4k writes? How can that be..? I've noticed the M3S is cheaper then the M2P? Which one should I buy right now?