Sign in to follow this  
haideeerpsoftware

Can I ask for a laptop/notebook suggestion?

To tell you the truth, I've never had one. :unsure: People keep nagging me to save up for a Macbook since I'm a writer but I don't know. I'm also a gamer of sorts (I guess you could put me between casual to occasionally hardcore). I also like to watch videos, listen to music, and read ebooks/comics on the PC so I guess a DVD player/writer would also be a necessity.

Any suggestions? :huh:

To tell you the truth, I've never had one. :unsure: People keep nagging me to save up for a Macbook since I'm a writer but I don't know. I'm also a gamer of sorts (I guess you could put me between casual to occasionally hardcore). I also like to watch videos, listen to music, and read ebooks/comics on the PC so I guess a DVD player/writer would also be a necessity.

Any suggestions? :huh:

To get a laptop with an optical drive you are usually looking at a 14" and larger screen size unless you use an external optical drive and cable. A lot depends on if you want nice portability or more a substitute for a desktop.

What sort of budget and size requirements do you have?

Yikes, I'm probably an even bigger noob when it comes to pricing. :( What's the usual price that people buy a laptop/notebook for these days? I'll admit, I'm a bit of cheapskate but... :unsure:

A lot depends on if you want nice portability or more a substitute for a desktop.

Well I have been seriously considering of replacing my old desktop PC. A laptop though would get more use from me because I'm always out (be it for work, meeting up with friends etc). Still, I do plan on relying on it as a portable storage space in case my current flash disk isn't enough (and frankly, it's been a while since I cleared that little thing up :blush: ).

Edited by haideeerpsoftware

Well IMO I see a lot of people spending ~1000USD(maybe 800USD) for a notebook, but there are a great deal of cheap notebook(as well as really really expensive ones). It all depends on your needs and wants. If you want a stylish and small notebook, expect to pay more.

Movies/DVDs/Music/browsing the internet/Office use can easily be done on less than 500 dollar notebooks(even older notebooks). Gaming on a cheap notebook can be troublesome(modern notebooks have decent graphic cards but it all depends on what types of games you expect to play.

If you will take it everywhere and will rely on it, I suggest looking a business oriented notebooks such as Dell Latitude series, Lenovo's Thinkpad series, and Hp's probook/elitebook series. These types of notebook are often built better and have better support options. But...they tend to be more expensive. You can get them cheaper by using Ebay/or looking out for refurbished("USED") units.

If you don't need it now, look around local/online shops, find some reviews and find a way to get some hands on experience(friends/displays in stores).

If you're in the USA and have a Best Buy nearby, the best bargain machine I've seen is the HP g4-1215x for $350. The AMD Llano A4-3300M CPU/GPU ("APU") inside is the best low-end graphics unit by a huge margin, although the CPU is fundamentally an AMD Phenom II X2 so it's not all that great.

Still hugely better than the netbook-class stuff tho, although battery life isn't as good.

To get into nicer stuff is quite a bit more and generally sticks you with so-so integrated graphics (which are getting better, still slow tho), but performance on the Intel Core i5-2410M stuff is a league above what AMD has in this space. But yes, lots of factors to consider.

If integrated (or very slow discrete) graphics are okay and you can justify the extra money for a nicer machine, I find that about $900 (US) gets a pretty well equipped Lenovo Thinkpad T420 or T520 with 1600x900 screen, Core i5-2410M CPU, and the usual bells and whistles. Whether or not that's worth more than 2x the price of a cheap unit like an HP g4-1215dx is up to you. :)

Well IMO I see a lot of people spending ~1000USD(maybe 800USD) for a notebook, but there are a great deal of cheap notebook(as well as really really expensive ones). It all depends on your needs and wants. If you want a stylish and small notebook, expect to pay more.

1000 bucks...? :blink: Okay, my brother wasn't kidding. I'm definitely saving up big-time. >_<;;

Movies/DVDs/Music/browsing the internet/Office use can easily be done on less than 500 dollar notebooks(even older notebooks). Gaming on a cheap notebook can be troublesome(modern notebooks have decent graphic cards but it all depends on what types of games you expect to play.

The computer games I'd want to carry around definitely struck me as the type to have the latest graphics cards.

So with that said, I don't suppose I have to make a distinction between a laptop and notebook at this point do I? :unsure:

If you will take it everywhere and will rely on it, I suggest looking a business oriented notebooks such as Dell Latitude series, Lenovo's Thinkpad series, and Hp's probook/elitebook series. These types of notebook are often built better and have better support options. But...they tend to be more expensive. You can get them cheaper by using Ebay/or looking out for refurbished("USED") units.

If you don't need it now, look around local/online shops, find some reviews and find a way to get some hands on experience(friends/displays in stores).

Thanks for the suggestions. Everyone else too, thanks for your giving me your time. I'll look up all the ones you guys suggested. And who knows? If I find something that might be closer, I'll consult with you all. :)

P.S.

Although just for future reference (in response to continuum), I don't live in the US. ^^;

I don't suppose I have to make a distinction between a laptop and notebook
They're the same thing.

Laptop = notebook.

Now a netbook is traditionally a much lower performance system off of a different (slower) class of processor, the Intel Atom or AMD C-50/E-350 line-up.

Even if you don't live in the USA, as I noted, AMD Llano based systems (AMD A4-3300M, A6-3400M, A8-3500M, etc. systems) might be worth a look if you need more GPU performance than what the traditional sub-$800 systems can get you. As I also noted earlier there are some other drawbacks... but it could be worth a look.

PC makers tend to split the three devices up into:

Netbook - toy used for e-mail and maybe a work processor, no optical drive

Notebook or Ultraportable - lightweight, typically 13" or smaller screen, reasonable CPU power, no optical drive

Laptop - typically 14" and larger screen, optical drive, faster CPUs available

Ultrabooks are not bad as alternatives to MacBook Airs. ~3 pounds, measures less than an inch thick, good battery life and can be had for $899(even $799 depending on the model) will be very attractive to people.

Yes, they are underpowered compared to traditional thin and light notebook/laptops, but the processors are fine for a majority of people's tasks( most of the OP's tasks except gaming can be done by Ultrabooks).