Atamido

Suggestions for small server

I'm looking to build a small 1 drive system to place at a family member's home for offsite backups. It will be idling 90% of the time, so it should be able to idle at a very low power. I want to be able to remote to it and potentially run programs on it, so I'll probably be using Windows.

I like the idea of being able to easily seed my data, and to be able to drive across town to get it if I need to restore a large amount of data, which is why I'm not going with a cloud backup solution. I also don't want to depend on getting around to move drives around regularly, which is why I'm not interested in just swapping drives back and forth.

Some would argue not running Windows is a benefit ;)

Why is that a requirement?

I want the ability to run other stuff on the same system. Most of the time it'll just be backups, but every now and again I'd like to be able to remote to it. I'd also like to be able to repurpose it if I move on to something else.

What price range are you looking to spend in and are you sure you don't want just a little bit of RAID (RAID1 perhaps ;) )?

With the Windows requirement outside of finding a Windows Home Server, you might need to just buy a low-end small business desktop from Dell and use that with backup software running through Windows. Many of the package solutions are multi-disk and depending on your price range could be outside of your budget.

I ended up picking up a $150 netbook from a Black Friday deal, and then two $90 3TB USB drives during the Costco deal a few weeks back. I don't need a RAID array as it's just a backup, and my upload speed is not high enough for the performance of the netbook or drives to matter. And with the battery in the netbook, I don't need a battery backup for it. The drives might lose power, but in my limited experience USB drives tend to handle sudden disconnection pretty well.

I'm thinking I'll use CrashPlan for the backups as it's free for personal use to/from your own hardware.

You require some homework for it. We know that server is a more function of the software, not hardware. My suggestion Dell servers perform very well; you can find great bargains. I also strongly recommend you check with Dell website; it's the nonprofit focused arm of a company and they do a wonderful job helping you get what you need at the best price.