TSullivan

Synology DiskStation DS712+ High-Performance Two-Bay NAS Released Disc

Synology announced their new high-performance twin-bay DiskStation DS712+, equipped with a 1.8Ghz processor capable of pumping out up to 180MB/s over an aggregated gigabit LAN connection. This new model will support the latest DSM 3.2 software and is aimed at SMB users who need high speeds and future scalability.

Read Full Article

There probably is some cost-analysis going on and business folk might not be as quick to use it over eSATA for expansion.

I tend to agree - eSATA is what the enterprise has standardized on - not USB 3.0. That said, it it's another few bucks, why not just toss it in for the spec sheet cred?

Expansion I could understand, but 3.0'd be handy for regular dumping to/from for home transport or a physical off-site routine or whatever.

Are there any 2-bays out there with USB 3.0 on the front? Or any NAS boxes with USB 3.0 period?

/edit: I mean, I'm not aware how expensive the USB 3.0 chips are but I do know there are several more controllers on the market now so it must be coming down... and this is their premium/flagship 2-bay, yes?

Edited by Jambe

None of the NAS or DAS systems we've had in have offered USB 3.0. Perhaps that changes as they get refreshed next time around?

None of the NAS or DAS systems we've had in have offered USB 3.0. Perhaps that changes as they get refreshed next time around?

Hey Brian,

FYI Synologys 212+ unit has the same processor as the 712+ and will have usb 3. But it will not be expandable with the DX510 to give a 7 drive single volume. Still a little unsure within the Synology community if the inclusion of 'Floating Point' functionality in the x12+ models will enable realtime media conversion.

BTW, part of me absolutely agrees about the lack of USB 3 in the 712 being a bit 'rubbish'. Considering the price, a few extra dollars/pounds would be paid for it by most. But, so long as it has eSata, most tekis normally have a USB / eSata enclosure sitting around. So its not much of a turn off. The massive plus is 180MB / s reads!

Edited by TimGiles

Talked with Synology today and we should expect refreshes of the line to start including USB 3.0. The lack of inclusion has been more around user need for it than anything else.