Kevin OBrien

SandForce SF-2200 Blue-Screen Firmware Bug Found, Fixed Discussion

OCZ announced that the latest SandForce firmware numbered 3.3.2 has fixed a rare firmware bug causing blue screening on some computers. This latest firmware version has been through weeks of testing before public release, which OCZ is offering as firmware version 2.15 using their internal numbering scheme.

Read Full Article

I wish there were more information available about the problem and solution. I'm sure that would make users feel a little better.

anandtechs take on it- http://www.anandtech.com/show/4973/sandforce-identifies-firmware-bug-causing-bsod-issue-fix-available-today

not happy right now. had decided to go wit hthe owc 120 6g but now considering going withe intel 520. just want to reduce my chance of possible issues. & yes i spend t omuch time thinking about it. problem with having to wait to pull the trigger after making choice.

The funny thing is with all the SF drives we've tested, we have not once seen the BSOD. We do see drives drop out of SATA III, reverting to SATA II from time to time, but BSOD...never.

The funny thing is with all the SF drives we've tested, we have not once seen the BSOD. We do see drives drop out of SATA III, reverting to SATA II from time to time, but BSOD...never.

is that a problem with specific sf controllers or all? and what does it take to return to correct state?

is that a problem with specific sf controllers or all? and what does it take to return to correct state?

That's the problem... the BSOD Bug can affect all SF 2200 series controllers according to SandForce but no one including SandForce knows if this is the only Bug causing the BSODs or if this is just one of many.

The data losses from SSDs is still a very real problem regardless of brand as the technology used in consumer grade SSDs is "immature technology" according to Anandtech and I agree fully.

Intel, Crucial, OCZ, Corsair, etc. have all had some SSD reliability or compatiblitiy issues so it's not just SF 2200 series controllers that are a problem.

Edited by Beenthere

BSODs start in a few weeks of use.

And yes, they better fix it, or I doubt we will see SF as a company around in 2012...

SandForce is a big venture-backed company, I don't see them going anywhere for a while...more likely, someone will come along any buy them at some point. That would make for a fun dance in the SSD business.

Certainly makes sense and gets those guys into the game in a fast way, but with most of the SSD spend going to enterprise users, raw speed is less important.

The data losses from SSDs is still a very real problem regardless of brand

Use them as a read cache (not write) and you're quite safe. Cache lost? Just rebuild. That also fixes the high price issue, as you can get away with much smaller drives.

MrS

I see a BSOD maybe every two weeks. Mostly when bringing my laptop out of sleep, but I've had it blue screen sitting there using it. I look forward to seeing if this fixes things finally.