DetlevCM

2x 3,5" IDE drives - what to do?

A post after a long time...

So, what happened:

My mother has managed to fry two internal USB -> IDE boards in external HDDs. The first time I swapped out the HDD, the second time I got a HDD dock that does SATA & IDE (good to have).

But this also means that I now have 2x 250GB of IDE HDDs lying around that are perfectly fine to use but cannot be used...

I've been searching for a USB to IDE board - looks like they do exist... but you either can't buy them or they are expensive... -> I've got a case for the drives, I have a power brick... I just haven't got an interface.

Cases are expensive - someone suggested Ebay, not something I ever used... but even if, these things are expensive in the UK. At least more costly than I am willing to spend if I am honest. -> It looks like it is around 7,5 Pounds a piece times two... - when all I need is really just a small board...

So has anybody got any idea what to do with 2 3,5" IDE drives at a low cost? (And I mean low)

Get an IDE-SATA converter (3+ GBP) and connect them to a SATA controller.

I don't have a computer with an external SATA port... -> well, not 100% true, my Home Server has 1 eSATA port, but that's for a Box with 4 large drives when I need it/have money I can spend on it.

(Other computers at home are all laptops - not a single desktop in sight, the Home Server comes closest to that -> HP x510)

But otherwise a good idea.

Edited by DetlevCM

I'll second the eBay recommendation....you can grab USB-->IDE adapters from overseas on there for only a few dollars.

Edited by FastMHz

I'll second the eBay recommendation....you can grab USB-->IDE adapters from overseas on there for only a few dollars.

But I would assume that shipping the things across half the world would be rather expensive, or am I mistaken in that assumption?

(By the way - my Location: UK - everything is expensive here...)

Many of the China and Hong Kong sellers offer free shipping world wide :-)

Hmm, so that might be worth an investigation then.

On this note - has anybody any idea what could have broken on that little board? The power supply works - but the interface doesn't.

Hmm, so that might be worth an investigation then.

On this note - has anybody any idea what could have broken on that little board? The power supply works - but the interface doesn't.

Hmm, the only thing I can find is this kind of stuff...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-IDE-2-5-3-5-5-25-hard-disk-drive-HDD-Cable-/260834028031?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item3cbaeb69ff

-> I could possibly hack that together, but I would rather have a small board, or should I get one of these, try to make it fit into the old case and add the power supply from the old board?

If you want to use the cases you have, you're lowest cost option is probably to take one of those adapters apart and use that. They're just little USB-->IDE bridges in a cheap plastic case.

Alternatively, here is a cheap complete enclosure:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-External-HDD-Hard-Disk-Drive-Enclosure-Case-USB-IDE-/260854925160?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3cbc2a4768

-OR-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-IDE-3-5-HDD-Hard-Disk-Enclosure-Case-External-/160535036535?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item2560a24277

Edited by FastMHz

If you want to use the cases you have, you're lowest cost option is probably to take one of those adapters apart and use that. They're just little USB-->IDE bridges in a cheap plastic case.

Alternatively, here is a cheap complete enclosure:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-External-HDD-Hard-Disk-Drive-Enclosure-Case-USB-IDE-/260854925160?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3cbc2a4768

-OR-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-IDE-3-5-HDD-Hard-Disk-Enclosure-Case-External-/160535036535?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item2560a24277

At 11-12$ I might as well get a case for 7,5 Pounds ;)

-> If the bridge can be taken apart that might be the best option then... at least it would be the cheapest...

Edit:

Or not... I'm just looking at the board I have -> I'm not sure if just slicing off the electricity supply will work...

(Enclosures in the UK are pretty much 7,5 Pounds a piece... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=3%2C5%22+IDE+enclosure&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5251&rt=nc&_dmpt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1 )

Edited by DetlevCM

Or a completely different idea. IDE drives are worth some money since they're not as available as they once were, perhaps test & sell them on eBay, then take the proceeds to buy a larger sata drive. I've done this plenty of times. A couple of 250gb IDE drives with no bad sectors would fetch some decent money.

Or a completely different idea. IDE drives are worth some money since they're not as available as they once were, perhaps test & sell them on eBay, then take the proceeds to buy a larger sata drive. I've done this plenty of times. A couple of 250gb IDE drives with no bad sectors would fetch some decent money.

That could be another idea... but DBAN first with the external dock... hmm...

Edit:

My mother doesn't want to try and sell it (one of the two was hers) -> so they will have to get a case then...

(Considering I'd have power issues as it seems with the cheaper IDE to USB cable)

Edited by DetlevCM

search on craigslist for old ide enclosures.

Doesn't exist in the UK - besides, unless I am mistaken that place has an even worse reputation than ebay.

-> I'm currently trying to get a case at 7,5 Pounds - one for the time being. (-> Shipping expensive, case cheap :D guess they want to avoid ebay fees... :D)

Gumtree.

But seriously I'd personally sell them as pretty much useless. I'm flogging off a bunch of 500GB drives that've been sitting on the shelves for a year for being too small to do anything useful.

And dunno about you, but personally I don't give a bleep what my mother thinks I should do...

Gumtree.

But seriously I'd personally sell them as pretty much useless. I'm flogging off a bunch of 500GB drives that've been sitting on the shelves for a year for being too small to do anything useful.

And dunno about you, but personally I don't give a bleep what my mother thinks I should do...

Well, one of the drives is her -> so at least that one has to stay with her if she wants ;)

I've ordered an enclosure of ebay.uk at 7,5 Pounds (cheaper than Amazon, etc.) and will see how that pans out. I must agree with the sentiment that there isn't a lot of use for such a small drive - simply because it mainly wastes valuable space given that the same space can be filled at a reasonably price with 8 times as much capacity. (2TB, 3TB is still expensive)

However, considering that my mother uses external drives via USB, that's more her problem than mine ;)

(I did too before I moved to the HomeServer)

Edited by DetlevCM

Just thought I'd post an update - so that was my first ever eBay purchase :D an enclosure.

My mother gets her drive back, which means I can get my 2,5" HDD back (that I copied the stuff onto via a dock) and one IDE drive stays stashed away...

Prices on the web do seem nice... on the other hand... if my mother wants to maybe keep it, I could get her another enclosure for it... -> At least one can be used again.

LOL exactly, find me a USB enclosure, bridge or adapter not from Asia and you win a million brownie points :-P