Brian

Seagate GoFlex Desk 4TB External Hard Drive Released Discussion

Seagate has announced it is shipping a new 4TB version of their GoFlex Desk series of external hard drives. The new drive gets an updated look, with a glossy black case and upright design which yields a small footprint on the desk - the rest of the GoFlex Desk line will get the design update soon. The GoFlex Desk for Mac external drive with both FireWire 800 and USB 2.0 will be available in Apple stores by the end of the month.

Full Story

I bet that external case is as horrible at keeping the drive cool as their 3TB version. When will they ever learn ... or when will we ever learn that running a hard drive at 50 C + is no problem? Most are spec'ed for 55 C or 60 C and I think the worst thing for hard drives are sudden temperature changes while operating.. like turning on a fan in an external enclosure while it's on and warmed up already.

The only one they had in the press room is the one I used...they didn't have the litany of side, top, bottom shots, etc.

These things are generally well vented, but we'll see. I really do like a metal case in an external, everyone should move to metal.

I bet that external case is as horrible at keeping the drive cool as their 3TB version. When will they ever learn ... or when will we ever learn that running a hard drive at 50 C + is no problem?

Well.. yeah. The problem is that Anandtech experienced serious slow-downs during extended testing (i.e. using the drive), apparently due to the 3 TB model getting too hot. Might be enough if they put more vent slots in or used 5x00 rpm for a 5 platter drive.

MrS