Sign in to follow this  
Kevin OBrien

Samsung Intros Wireless Optical Drive and Portable Blu-ray Writer Disc

Samsung has introduced two new optical drives: the USB-powered SE-506AB slim Blu-ray writer for Macs and PCs and the SE208BW DVD writer. What makes the SE208BW special though is that it is a dual-purpose optical drive and wireless access point.

Read Full Article

The SE208BW drive sounds pretty cool for an ODD. I never thought I would never see the day where an optical drive had a coolness factor to it. Can't wait to stream DVD's to my iPad from it.

Too bad we have to wait until 2012. It is pretty interesting though, totally plays into the theme of the wireless storage devices we've been reviewing lately for the smartphone and tablet markets. I wonder if the product would have been more compelling if it included a Samsung hard drive with it for remote storage also.

It's been said that to invent something just take an existing invention and add a digital clock to it. Well, for the new century, it seems, the clock is replaced by WLAN or maybe a resistive touchscreen? ;-)

The optical drive business is simply outdated in every respect, just like the floppy disk. Remember 1998, when Apple dropped the latter completely? While magnetic hard drives keep competitive to flash media by increasing capacity, the plastic discs are kept alive by a obsolete content industry, which is unable to get the Internet distribution thing right. And otherwise it's just an unreliable (and expensive) way to store ludicrous 4 or 25 GB of data on an bulky disc.

Sorry Samsung, time is up, the "burning" decade is over. Why do you get out of the hard disk business and invest resources in such obsolete stuff?

It may be waning buy not quite over. I've been using a Samsung external for the last few weeks to digitize all my old CD's. But I agree, the days of going the other way, burning things to CDs, is essentially over for most.