Sign in to follow this  
Sunnycse

Steps to Upgrade to a New SSD Drive on Lenovo W520

Hello All,

1. I have a Lenovo W520 Series Laptop with 500GB 7200 RPM Hardrive. I wanted to Replace my Hardrive with Intel 510 or XM SSD. I wanted to know if someone has done that on their own laptop. If yes, Can you please let me know if Imaging your Old HDD to new SSD has worked for you. I do not want to re-install everything on my machine.

2. Are there any BIOS setups I need to do before changing my HDD?

3. Do I need a cable to Image all my files to new SSD? I have and external HDD where i can image my computer.

4. Did the Intel software for cloning worked perfectly for you.

Thank you in Advance!!

1. In the lab we currently use Acronis 2011 to image and clone all of our drives. On many occasions we have cloned newer ThinkPad models (including the W520) from an original hard drive to a faster SSD while retaining all of the installed applications and settings. I am almost positive the included Rescue and Recovery software can do the same thing, although I have only used it for HDD > HDD upgrades in the past, but the same principles apply.

2. Just make sure AHCI mode is enabled for the SATA connection. It should be set by default, but you won't get the most out of your SSD unless you are in this mode.

3. To clone from one drive to another you will need an external enclosure (or the Ultrabay SATA adapter)

4. I haven't worked with any Intel kits that included cloning software, but if they use Acronis it should work great.

1. In the lab we currently use Acronis 2011 to image and clone all of our drives. On many occasions we have cloned newer ThinkPad models (including the W520) from an original hard drive to a faster SSD while retaining all of the installed applications and settings. I am almost positive the included Rescue and Recovery software can do the same thing, although I have only used it for HDD > HDD upgrades in the past, but the same principles apply.

2. Just make sure AHCI mode is enabled for the SATA connection. It should be set by default, but you won't get the most out of your SSD unless you are in this mode.

3. To clone from one drive to another you will need an external enclosure (or the Ultrabay SATA adapter)

4. I haven't worked with any Intel kits that included cloning software, but if they use Acronis it should work great.

Thank you Kevin!!!!

Is there any other way I can copy my System and Program files to this new SSD, without clean install?

Edited by Sunnycse

If your getting an intel drive, you can get some free SSD cloning software off their site.

I did this same thing when I upgraded the my Thnkpad T500 to a ssd drive. However in this case, the mechanical drive and the SSD were the same size, so cloning was trivial. Having a 2nd PC to do this makes it much easier, as I just hooked up both drives to my 2nd PC and ran the clone software.

The end result was WELL WELL worth the effort