stadi

Are 5400 green hard drives this slow? (Hitachi 5K3000)

Hi,

I just bought a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 5400rpm HDS5C3020ALA632 hard drive. I copied over all the data from my old 7200 drives, removed them and when I tried to play some 720p mkv movie files in VLC player they "stutter". I did not have this problem with my old hard drive so this should not be a CPU or VLC player issue.

This is my first green 5400rpm drive. Are they really this slow also when playing movie files from them or is here something else wrong?

Real simple to start to figure this out...run CDM and post your screen shot here. I don't know a ton about video compression and the mkv format, but I've not had trouble streaming from green drives.

Now this is strange. Today everything seems to work fine. Maybe it was the search indexer interfering?

I anyway made the test:

post-45225-0-81332200-1314135611_thumb.j

The interesting thing is that my operating system drive which is a Raptor 150 is much slower in these tests:

post-45225-0-09396200-1314135620_thumb.j

Perhaps you're on the right track with a first day anomaly. I have two of the same drives, same capacity, in an HP MicroServer running FreeNAS 8 x64 storing backups. They are ZFS mirrored and I get about 90% gigabit ethernet saturation when backing up to them, which is slightly lower than your second day CDM results. I suppose it's possible that my mirrored pair can write faster than gigabit can feed them but I didn't bother to test these drives in Windows since I wasn't excited about their performance to start with. They went straight into FreeNAS and hopefully will last a long time. Keep an eye on CrystalDiskInfo for a week or two. Make sure they aren't starting/stopping themselves to death. Power on cycles shouldn't be much lower than start/stop cycles (I think it is.)

Hi,

I just bought a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 5400rpm HDS5C3020ALA632 hard drive. I copied over all the data from my old 7200 drives, removed them and when I tried to play some 720p mkv movie files in VLC player they "stutter". I did not have this problem with my old hard drive so this should not be a CPU or VLC player issue.

This is my first green 5400rpm drive. Are they really this slow also when playing movie files from them or is here something else wrong?

I have had the same problem with my Hitachi 5K3000 2TB hard drive in a USB2 enclosure when playing video files in VLC player. The video files were about 720p quality.

The activity light was on constantly(flickering wildly) .. I don't think the video file was fragmented, and even then, i'm sure the drive can keep up with a video file no matter what.

My only thought for my situation is that VLC player is somehow sending tiny read requests to the drive instead of big blocks.

It's really weird and I know it isn't anything to do with the spindle speed or access time specs.

BTW, on the 2TB and lower capacities of this drive, the spindle speed is 5,940rpm and the 3TB model is 5,7## (somethingsomething)RPM.

Edited by danwat1234

Drive indexing screwing it up might make sense, especially if it went away after the first day or so.

The interesting thing is that my operating system drive which is a Raptor 150 is much slower in these tests:
Not really actually-- the WD Raptor 150GB has a much lower areal density by a HUGE margin, which enables the much slower seek times of a modern 2TB drive to catch up.

(of course for a modern 2TB 5400rpm/5900rpm/whatever drive to catch up all the time you'd have to only use the first 150GB of it too. :P )

Thanks for the tips. It seems to work now and the speed is allright, so it seems to be really a first day anomaly. I will report back later whether it's still ok.

Hi,

No, 720p requires max. 1 MB/s (depending on the bitrate and quality) and any 5400rpm drive can easily do 50-60 MB/s at the worst case. So the stutter was caused by something else.