Sign in to follow this  
Kevin OBrien

Study Shows Alarming Loss of Confidential Data on Flash Drives Discuss

A study conducted by Ponemon Institute has found that USB flash drives are an underestimated security risk in large organizations including government and enterprise. Over half the responding organizations reported losing flash drives containing sensitive information.

Real Full Article

I don't think I've lost a USB drive yet, but those pictured all came out of a single drawer in my desk, so if I have lost one, I probably don't know about it ;)

...... so if I have lost one, I probably don't know about it ;)

Which I think is the whole point.

The things are so small and easily transportable they can go pretty much anywhere.

I know ive misplaced a few USB sticks, but none of them had anything sensitive on them.

We were just debating at what point do we start throwing these away. In addition to the picture in the article, I found two more in my drawer that went unnoticed the first time around. I think I'm trashing anything under 2GB, but even then I have little need. Maybe I'll just start sending them out to people that want them. Any takers?

I can see how a lost drive could be a security issue. I have had several go missing, but most of mine only had music. I have a friend that was terminated from his employer for losing a USB drive that contained sales numbers and proprietary information