Sign in to follow this  
Beenthere

Anandtech finally admits SSD reliability is unacceptable

IMO there is no excuse for the shoddy SSDs that have shipped. A SSD by design should be more reliable than a mechanical HD and some SSD purveyors use this as a marketing point. This isn't rocket science, it's a failure to properly validate the product before shipping it.

well in order to keep the conversation going on.....

Here i use a 5805 Adaptec raid controller with 6 OCZ Core v'1 since 3 year now in Raid0, i would never ever try to do that with mechanical drives.

So Beenthere, you know the saying: "execptions confirm the rules".

My Seagate 15k Sas 300 gb are entreprise disks, my god, they last 1-2 years and they stop working.

So yes i have a few left of them, i keep them to help close relatives like my father, when he needs a drive, he gets one from me. Simple as that.

I have put a Adaptec card in his computer so he can use SCSI drives. When those drive are all gone, het gets my Adaptec 31205 (not a good card for SSD's) with the Sas drives, one at a time, he does not need more then that.

As said for me mechanical drives are the past.

Jeff

"Don't look back, life is too short"

Edited by F.I.B.

IMO there is no excuse for the shoddy SSDs that have shipped. A SSD by design should be more reliable than a mechanical HD and some SSD purveyors use this as a marketing point. This isn't rocket science, it's a failure to properly validate the product before shipping it.

There are a few issues at play. Problem with the build of the drive, problem with the firmware or compatibility problems. We're seeing more of the latter right now than anything else. In my opinion, this comes down to a lack of testing.

well to look at my experiences with SSD vs mechanical drives, the ssd is more reliable -- ive yet to have one fail.

On the other side of that, I had one mechanical drive fail after 4 months of use (the drive cooked itself), and another after 5.5 years (also cooked itself).

I also have mechanical drives (10k scsi) that are running just fine after 10 years of use which includes carting my PC to many lan parties and several cross country moves.

Ive never tried any 15k disks.. so no comments there.

There are a few issues at play. Problem with the build of the drive, problem with the firmware or compatibility problems. We're seeing more of the latter right now than anything else. In my opinion, this comes down to a lack of testing.

Yes Brian, most problems come from the SSD controller (hardware and/or software).

But the heat is on and everybody wants to make big money out of this.

SSD's are moving to fast, therefore not enough time to test, others may beat you first and everybody want to claim the fastest SSD, PCI-E, etc.

I hope the OCZ Revo 3 x2 will do the job, afterall for the price of $700 for the 240gb version this is a give away. The price of a good raid card.

Jeff