Brian

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB Review (WD10JPVT) Discussion

Wait, Western Digital already has a 1TB Scorpio Blue notebook hard drive - right? Yes and no; this new WD10JPVT model announced two weeks ago is different beast. Unlike the old drive, it has a standard 9.5mm height vs. 12.5mm. The standard drive height opens up entirely new markets for the 2.5" 1TB drive. Where the prior generation was limited to desktop replacement notebooks and specialized devices like the WD TV Live Hub; now just about any notebook can take advantage of the largest capacity hard drive available.

Full Review

How in the world does a 5400 RPM drive, even if it's 2.5", generate such high IOPS numbers? those are comparable with Raptor 10K drive numbers. It just doesn't make sense to me.

It's almost as if they have independent read heads for each platter. . .

How in the world does a 5400 RPM drive, even if it's 2.5", generate such high IOPS numbers? those are comparable with Raptor 10K drive numbers. It just doesn't make sense to me.

It's almost as if they have independent read heads for each platter. . .

Which Raptor? 150GB or 74GB or 36GB generation?

Older drives can't compete with new ones, even with new 'econobox' drives like this one because firmware has improved and data densities are so much higher ..the econobox will win except in medium-heavily random i/o benches I would guess.

That looks like excellent command queueing.

BTW: do the IOMeter tests span the entire drive? If not danwat's also got a point about the data locality increasing with denser platters.

MrS

On SSDs we limit the amount accessed to ~500MB on single drives and ~5000MB on RAID setups. Hard drives get access over the entire space since they don't run into the same garbage collection problems with heavy random access.