Fel

Storage and Backup for Small Company

Hi,

We have about 1.25tb of data, and a growth rate of about 500gb/year which we figure will continue to grow by 12.5% a year. Data 5 years or older will be archived and removed from active projects, so eventually the amount of increase will be reduced by the amount removed.

start at January 1, 2011: 1.125tb

expected data size at end of year 2011: 1.75tb

expected data size at end of year 2012: 2.313tb

expected data size at end of year 2013: 3.016tb

expected data size at end of year 2014: 3.895tb

expected data size at end of year 2015: 4.993tb

expected data size at end of year 2016: 5.116tb

expected data size at end of year 2017: 5.083tb

expected data size at end of year 2018: 4.916tb

etc...

Currently the data is on a server with Raid 5 with a spare. But the server is at 85% capacity and we need a new solution.

I was thinking of getting two 4-bay NAS and putting 4x3tb hdd's in them in a mirrored setup and then doing a full backup of the one nas to the other on a weekly basis. This would give us 6TB of redundant space, and in case of total failure we would have the secondary device that we could bring online as the main device and fix/replace the failed NAS...

1. This is a small marketing company of 8 employees that does a lot of video(SD and HD) and large art like buses and billboards.

2. Is this a good solution? If not, what would you recommend for handling this amount of data?

3. What devices are recommended as far as being reliable and able to backup NAS to NAS without needing some other software to do it?

4. Do you have any other suggestions or ideas, any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I think you're on the right path. The direction depends largely on budget probably. My initial thought is a pair of Synology units...4 bays gets the job done (DS411+), but you may decide to go with a little bit larget unit just to give you more legroom. Synology also has a great internal tool to backup to another Synology unit, or you can backup to an external drive or Amazon's S3.

http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS411+/index.php

Yeah this is more in the budget than a new server... I am figuring this project to fall into a $2,500 - $3,000 range. The cost of a new server with this kind of storage, plus a backup solution for it is well above that, and the cost of online storage for this much data makes it a non-option.

Do you have a suggestion on what drives to use for this. It seems like Hitachi 3tb drives have been getting good reviews, but the ones I found on new-egg I can't find on Hitachi's website at all and that bothers me, a lot actually. This is what I found on

Newegg: HITACHI Deskstar H3IK30003272SW (0S03208) 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

or

HITACHI Deskstar 0S03086 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

But these models do not appear as an option on Hitachi's site. I initially went there trying to find where to buy them... as I would like retail drives that don't come through ups/fedex/etc... and I want to be able to return/replace a drive if there are any problems without waiting for shipping/process/shipping situation.

Thanks for your reply, I have checked out the Synology unit you linked to and it fits in my price range.

Glad it looks like that Synology will work. You need to check their compatibility list to decide on drives. As minor as it sounds, if it's not listed, I wouldn't buy the drives. QNAP and Netgear also make competing NAS units to the Synology, and will have different drive lists. So pick the NAS first, then do your drive shopping.