Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Rumor: Seagate to shorten warranties

I can't imagine this to be true, but there are a few sources that are talking about Seagate reducing their warranties from 5 to 2 years on green drives and the 7200.12.

Does warranty length matter to you when buying a hard drive?

Source

Dang, I thought I posted about this when we got notice from distributors a month or two ago... argh.. can't find the post...

IIRC weren't green drives and 7200.12's already 3 years anyway-- that's what I recall... *memory is fuzzy*

I think you're right, but even so, taking it down to 2 years...back to my initial question, does that matter? I think they'll see resistance on the consumer side if there's price parity with the WD Caviar Greens. Though this gets confusing when you factor in the Samsung drives.

To me it matters only as a measure of the quality of their products. If they're cutting down the warranty that much, there must be a good reason. That is, they don't expect for their green drives to last 5 years.

I don't know that I really care much about drive warranty. I've found they either break really soon, or last nearly forever. If they last years and then break, I'd probably just buy bigger drives to replace them with anyway. Warranty returns are annoying as hell - especially since I'd want to degauss/physically destroy any drive before I sent it back.

I doubt the average consumer will RMA a drive after 3/4 years, but I like having the longest warranty possible for some piece of mind. I am okay with companies "trimming the fat"(get rid of high overhead) but if this more to "lets make our costs low", then I would be worried on how this will have an effect on things like quality control.

Would including less of a warranty mean that less tests(in the short and long run) may be performed or maybe a lack of scrutiny on potentiality unacceptable drives? A long warranty tells me that "Hey, these guys may have a better quality control process than the other guys if they expect the drive to last long".

Also, I am worried/interested on how other manufacturers will respond...

I feel the same way. Longer warranty on a product tells me a company is putting better quality control and support behind their products.

Ive never had to RMA a drive to the manufacturer (I go through my PC vendor). The only drive ive had fail, lasted 6months beyond the 5yr manufacturer warranty, and then cooked itself. The other drive i got around the same time is still working to this day (after 10+ years)

So if seagate is going to reduce their warranty to 3yrs "to cut costs" .. it bothers me that maybe drives will start failing at 3yrs and 6months instead of 5yrs and 6months which will mean more headaches for us consumers.

well as in my personal understanding warranty doesn't always translate to product reliability, especially electronics

but even like that, reduced warranty somehow just like something not right

i don't know how everyone think, but i think most consumer always pick longest warranty drive

in my area all hdd warranty 3years by local distributor, so after 3years we have to RMA the drive ourself (like caviar black series)

and i never know seagate offer 5years warranty

anyway rather than 2 years, i think they should keep 3 years

but then it seems indeed 2years is good consumer-SATA hdd life ?... i mean of course hdd can survive longer than that, it depends on how we use it and many other factor

from what all i read regarding mechanical hdd, i got an idea 2 years is good hdd life - more years = increased failure rate

so i personally always replace 2years old (16k hours) hdd anyway

I definitely care about warranty. This reminds me of the warranty reduction of a few years ago. I think also then it was Seagate, maybe along with some other manufacturers? Then they started changing back to 3 or even 5 years.

Extended warranty is also useful when using drives in external enclosures. These would be more susceptible to failure due to heat or handling.